Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wall tent stove jack ---> side vs roof?

wall tent stove jack ---> side vs roof?

The way I see it, a roof location makes more sense as you get a greater draft and the stove pipe is more supported.

thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: wall tent stove jack ---> side vs roof?

I like to put a tarp over my wall tent. Eventually will get a porch/fly combo. I would say put it in the front sidewall or back wall this way the stove pipe doesn't interfere the tarp. As far as draft for the stove I have 3' vertical, 3 feet horizontal heading out the jack and another 3' vertical once outside I have no problems with smoke or burning. I run a 5' tall heat shield and have my stove right to the back and turned sideways for more interior space. It's also super easy to build a telescoping support with a couple of thumb screws and use a large hose clamp or band clamp to secure everything. Have fun with your wall tent!
    Last edited by fuzzy; 09-26-2017 at 09:47 AM.

I have always used a side vent for my stove. Never had any issues, draws fine and dont have creasote running onto the stove jack. If you figure out a stove pipe support begore you leave home you are all set.
    It aint easy being green

plus that pipe running sideways throws off heat

Coastal folk like to have the pipe out the side, a lot like the pipe on the back wall as well.

Interior folks, like me, like the pipe out the roof in the front left corner....right corner if your left handed.

Tarping the canvas tent ,I think , is a hold over when canvas was loosely weaved which caused drips when raining, thus the tarp and side exhaust.

With the newer tight weave (think thread count here) those are now problems of the past.

The two canvas tents we have are 10.5 oz per square yard 'tight weave', they do not drip at all in heavy rain or snow, the pipe goes straight up and off the stove through the roof. Decent dry wood does not cause creosote dripping all over.

So, whether it is up the roof or out the wall, depends on the weave and cultural differences. That said, I've seen some engineering masterpieces to arrange the pipe out the wall.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

we only use tarp sometimes with a second tarp as a fly..the canvass is long gone years ago...

We use an insulated tarp over the wall tent so we side vent. Works fine.

I use a tarp for a few reasons. I find the tarp helps with any snow load, it protects the canvas from staining of falling leaves, uv degradation as well as moisture control and retains a bit of heat. My tent is about 8 years old, has 60 nights of use and is in great shape. Everyone's uses and expectations are different but from what I've seen of Andrew H on here he seems to be a "do it once, do it right" kinda guy when it comes to outfitting himself.

We have the stove pipe through the roof in the front corner. We use an insulating tarp with a 2' x 2' hole cut in it to accommodate the stove pipe.

Mine goes out the side. Draft and support have never been an issue.