Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back from First Hunt ever! Story inside, advice appreciated!

Back from First Hunt ever! Story inside, advice appreciated!

First post:
    What is black, white, red all over and gets stuck in a revolving door?

A nun with a spear through her head.

I am 26 and have wanted to hunt since I can remember, but never had anyone to do it with and learn from which deterred me from pursuing it. Since getting my PAL and Core done in March, I've spent countless hours researching, reading books, reviewing satellite maps, practicing at the range a couple times every week, and going around with a 60LB pack EVERYWHERE (even doing the dishes and mowing the lawn with it)

This weekend I went for my first hunt with 2 friends, I managed to convince them to get their Hunting Licenses with me (none of us had hunted before). They weren't too keen on driving too far for just a weekend hunt, we decided on Scuzzy Creek area, near Boston bar in Region 3-15. We were interested in getting a muley, black bear, or even just some grouse!

After looking at satellite maps and pictures on an old hiking forum post, it looked like a promising area with lots of clear cuts and trails to explore.

We left the lower mainland midday Friday. The second we got off the pavement and hit gravel roads we saw some mule deer does, that got all 3 of us excited. Once we set-up camp, around 5:30pm, we decided to hike a nearby logging road and not 10min into hunting I took my first animal, a ruff grouse! We were ecstatic and the excitement really fueled us for the rest of the weekend. Dinner was good that night! We hiked further up this very old trail and we saw TONS of berry filled black bear sign, some fresh from that day and lots just a day or two old. I was really excited at the thought of getting an opportunity at a berry fattened bear.

The next day, we found out the hard way that all those "clearings" on the sattelite maps were quite old and absolutely everything was overgrown. Most of the roads weren't even acessible with a 4x4. We ended up hikng 40KM on saturday, going up and down mountains, through creeks, busting through the thickest bush Ive ever seen in hopes that we might find a spot where we could see more than 20ft infront of us, no such luck!

We saw sooo much sign from every kind of animal along the way, the least of which was mule deer,though there was some. Mostly predator sign... even a fair amount of fresh grizz poop and scratches. I even saw some wolf prints that mustve belonged to a mythical creature these paws were so big.

It was a little unnerving busting through brush after seeing so much grizz sign and I think we even found the grizzly's bedding area by accident, glad I brought friends and bear spray thats for sure!

The fallen leaves and dry sticks really made it hard to stay quiet and still hunt, we heard a couple large animals get spooked nearby and take off through the brush, thats about as close as we came to anything. I managed to spot 3 black bears moving up an avalanche chute, but it was waaaaaaay too far away to matter.

We ended the weekend with some sore feet, 1 grouse, and a lot to learn! I really learned that sattelite images and old pictures, really don't paint the picture well enough of what an area is like.

I'm very enthusiastic to continue my journey and look forward to going again next weekend!

I would be incredibly grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction for next time, I am not afraid to put boots on the ground and do some hard work.

Any advice on where I should try and go next time? Maybe within 2-4 hours of the lower mainland? Feel free to give me your honey hole lol, but I mostly just want a broad idea of an area with some large open places to glass. Im interested in any kind of deer or black bear.

In addition, how should we approach planning and making the most out of a short 3 day trip?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I look forward to being a helpful member of the community once I have a little more experience.
    Last edited by Panzerfauste; 09-25-2017 at 08:06 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Back from First Hunt ever! Story inside, advice appreciated!

I would do exactly what you did this time. Look at google earth and go exploring. Half the fun of hunting is exploring.

pm sent cheers

Within 4 hours of the lower mainland, there are piles of places that have "large open places to glass". Next time though, go up the Coquihalla, Merrit, the connector, wherever. Not a lot of what you're looking for up the canyon until you get a ways past Boston bar. Between Ashcroft, Logan Lake and the connector. Highway 5A between Princeton and the connector. Between Tulameen and the Coquihalla. Princeton/Summerland road. Piles of places with sight lines as far as the eyes can see! Start picking away at the options, burn some gas and boot leather, and I'm sure you will find some places. No matter where you go, if you hike as much as you say you are, you will do just fine. Just be sure to know how to de-bone an animal.

First there's the gutless method. Plenty of videos to show you with a google search.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gutle...w=1366&bih=638

The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Sounds like your enthusiastic and capable. Two very important assets. From your story it seems you may have learned a lot of where not to be. Which means it can only get better!

Hint: Google Earth only tells half truths. In GE, if you zoom out a ways you can click the clock and make it show you 2017 images. They will not be as high def, and might have some cloud cover or something, but they will show the actual state of an area. By default, GE always shows the best view of an area (ie, least shadows, no clouds, etc.) even if it's a 10+ year old image.

One weekend hunt (especially your first) will not define the rest of your hunting career. Pick a new area next weekend and go check out a bunch of different areas.

A typical hunting season for me starts with most of september weekends scouting all of my usual places to determine where i'm going to spend time in late october and november. If I get lucky during scouting, bonus! I hunt because I love hunting, and it fills the freezer.

Don't be discouraged about not getting anything yet. Besides, if you filled your tags, what would you do next weekend?!

Sounds like a successful trip!

You can cycle through image dates in google earth and you can get an approximate date on the cuts you are looking at. Then you can focus your attention on something fresher. You can also get a good idea by the colour of the cuts. This is also where scouting plays its role. You would have a better idea of where to be if you can scout/explore before the season. But I did the exact same thing when I first hunted solo. Everything looked easier on the satellite images.

Great start -- you have already accomplished the most important part >> understanding that the joy is in the journey, not the destination. The other bits will come with time (and effort). There will always be frustration when the hunt does not go as planned, just as there will be sadness in the death that sometimes marks its end. Keep going as you are going, and keep us posted on your adventures.

If you hiked 40km on Saturday then you should slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    If you hiked 40km on Saturday then you should slow down.
    Yea, this was something we were conflicted about as a group. We were quite loud even when trying to be quiet, due to our lack of skill and everything being so dry. We were on the fence whether to go at a quiet snails pace or try to cover some ground and get to a good glassing point. We opted for the latter, though next time I will definitely try slowing down!