Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back from First Hunt ever! Story inside, advice appreciated!

Re: Back from First Hunt ever! Story inside, advice appreciated!

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice so far!

Sounds like your off to a good start.
    Thats a tough area. But if your willing to hike the opportunitys are endless. I'd get back on google earth and look for deactivated roads or areas that bridges have been removed and put the boots back on.
    Otherwise drive further North/ East out of the "coastal" climate area and you'll do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfauste View Post
    Yea, this was something we were conflicted about as a group. We were quite loud even when trying to be quiet, due to our lack of skill and everything being so dry. We were on the fence whether to go at a quiet snails pace or try to cover some ground and get to a good glassing point. We opted for the latter, though next time I will definitely try slowing down!
    Hike hard until you find the sign you are looking for, then slow down.

Awesome that you arnt discouraged .....I hunted yesterdat....crept through thick timbrr and worked my way to alpine then glassed till last shooting light.....saw tons of sign....but didnt get a grouse....lol....great job guys ....keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by brodgers View Post
    Great start -- you have already accomplished the most important part >> understanding that the joy is in the journey, not the destination. The other bits will come with time (and effort). There will always be frustration when the hunt does not go as planned, just as there will be sadness in the death that sometimes marks its end. Keep going as you are going, and keep us posted on your adventures.
    Well said..........

Yes, slow and steady. Can't rush hunting, develop the "Zen" of "One with Nature".

Stop and listen with your eyes shut and see what you can "see". This works surprisingly well. Also if you have noise cancelling ear protection what lets you tune the amount - try those, you can literally hear a cricket fart.

Practice the toe to heel walk - surprising how quiet you can be.

Took the wife along when I went to check a trail camera . . . she was tromping along and I was about to say something when I heard a noise in the woods.
    I stopped and motioned her to stop.
    She said, "What?!?"
    I said, "We are hunting!"
    She goes, "We are?"
    I said, "Hence the gun".
    Her reply, "Oh I thought that was for protection while we checked the camera".
    Retrieved the camera and was reviewing the photos with her -- I said, "look there we are . . . weird, what's that blur in the photo a minute before we showed up?".
    "oh" she said.

I'm certainly no accomplished hunter. I have however learned to slow down, walk softly and carry a big stick.
    Putting in time is the answer to all your concerns. Just keep going out there. As much as you can. You'll learn the areas. You'll teach yourself what works. Also what doesn't work.

Lets summarize a few learnings:

Walking 40K in one day to cover a lot of ground is not the answer. Maybe one day you'll drive up, take 2 steps from the truck and blast a beauty.

Hunting with a large group presents more challenges. Find one good hunting partner you trust. One who you know will beat a bear off your face. Put your time in with this buddy. Help each other out with everything. Even family counseling around the fire over whiskey if needed.

More trips. Lots of time on foot. That's good. Get out of the truck, Prius, whatever. Spend your money on fuel to get out. Not the lastest Swarovsky scope or new camo every year.

Time and experience. There is no substitute. Just hammer out as many hunting trips as tou can before we get snowed out. Repeat every year. You'll be on here eventually, showing us how it's done. It'll happen. Be patient. Just put the time in. You'll get frustrated lots more. Stay the course and enjoy all your time in the bush. You'll make tons of great memories.

One of the biggest mistakes alot of hunters make , myself included, hunting 36 years now, is to move way to fast. Covering alot of ground is fine if you've got a destination in mind., Like a favorite ridge or valley . I have often been very successful a short walk from camp, 500-600 yards, but taking 4 hours to cover that ground vs 15 minutes will often fill a tag.
    Your doing everything right,like the rest on here, you look at maps, Google Earth, then boots on the ground and hike, hunt the area.
    animals move, some of them only short distances, others surprisingly quite a bit. just because there was nothing there this morning, does not mean it's not worth trying later this afternoon or tomorrow morning. you may come across watering holes, small puddles in the middle of a trail, clear water generally means no activity, whereas dirty or cloudy water may mean something walked thru the puddles or stood in it and got a drink. don't mistakes this for the guy on the quad that rode thru here an hour ago. pay attention to the wind, it may seem to you there is no wind at all, pick up a small handful of dry leaves, grind them up into dust in your hand and throw them up in front of you, watch them drift, that little drift is enough for your scent to carry, and it could be not in your favor.
    another thing I like to do, is still stalk, I may cover 200 yards quickly to get into a cut block or down a cut line, but then stop, just stop......... listen to the bush, don't take a step for 10 minutes, listen to the bush , look, turn your head slowly, very slow movement, take your rifle off your shoulder and be ready, take 2 steps.... stop look and listen, count 1-2 minutes in your head, take a step,stop look and listen, remember each step gives you a different view into the bush, animals horns make very distinct sounds when they impact branches, it small tree's, look down at the trail, there may be animals tracks, moose, deer, if there is no snow, look for grass or whatever the vegetation is to be compressed down into the track, if it's real fresh, the blades of grass may be springing back up slowly into position. if they are older,4-6 hours or more, most will have sprung back partly into position, if the animal has not been spooked, it may be within 100 yards, there may be a bit of dirty water, ( see above ), get to know tracks. when you see a moose or deer, even if it's not in season, as a new hunter go to where the animals was and look at the tracks, get to know fresh tracks in the snow, or dirty or vegetation , understand what a bull or buck track looks like up against a cow or doe. if your early morning hunting there may be Frost or dew on the vegetation, look for the Frost or dew being partly Disturbed or rubbed off as something walked here before you. if your entering a clearing, pay attention to the sun, don't step clear of the bush line without giving the clearing a very solid glassing, look into the bush 10-15 yards if you can on the other side of the clearing, have you ever had the sun in your eyes ?, well this happens to animals to, use this to your advantage, if you have seen activity in the same clearing or cut block, or even tracks, in one area, have the sun at your back and glass it hard late afternoon, last hour of legal shooting , generally speaking like all species this time of year, depending on the animal, times are a little different, but if the girls are there, the boys won't be far, ( until it's over ), your doing everything right, you just need time on the ground, keep your head up.
    Remember one last thing. In this world there are predators and prey. The prey have there eyes on the sides of their heads for a reason ( look at a moose, deer, elk, zebra, gizelle, antelope, horse, cow ) now look at wolves, bears cats and lastly look at yourself in the mirror, where are the eyes ? in front , looking forward. you were meant to hunt. your a predator.
    good luck
    Graham

Thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Leveraction View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes alot of hunters make , myself included, hunting 36 years now, is to move way to fast. Covering alot of ground is fine if you've got a destination in mind., Like a favorite ridge or valley . I have often been very successful a short walk from camp, 500-600 yards, but taking 4 hours to cover that ground vs 15 minutes will often fill a tag.
    good luck
    Graham
    Thanks Graham, that was an excellent read.. I will make sure to follow this advice this weekend when I get out there again, slow and patient looking over every little detail