Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6-9 6-4, 7 day any bull season mid October

Re: 6-9 6-4, 7 day any bull season mid October

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    There's lots of moose out there ... just harder to hunt with all the wolves and bears hounding them.

Get away from the roads and hunt hard. Cold mornings are the key.
    Lots I would not agree but yes some pockets and still a fraction of what was around 5 years ago. Wolves and bears are not the major issue and lots of pockets wolves moved out.

Cold mornings and away from the roads I do agree with 100%

I would say wolves have been a big issue. Use to see lots of healthy moose up McDonnell lake way, the would see lots of wolves, now you don't see much of anything. Once the food supply is gone yes the wolves move on

I got the early draw in 6-9. Saw two youngish bulls with cows but couldn't connect on either. Last year, most wolf sign I've ever seen up here, a little less this year and I've actually seen a lot more moose sign this year than last. That being said, the early season was really busy with truck hunters so can't imagine what the open season will be like. Personally, I'll hunt the Oct bow season, then hang it up for the year.

Lakes during the GOS are, in my opinion, not the way to go. After the rut the moose head away from the lakes.
    There are too many wolves, too many open roads, "over" harvesting in the past bit (lots of young forest out there that does not provide for thermal cover nor cover itself).

You will run into more Vancouver Island and Mainland hunters than locals... the moose population is on the decline.. Good luck

Far way to travel for a gong show

i live a short drive away and don't bother with it.

Go harvest a nice mule deer closer to home!

Sure not as many moose as previous years. But I'd say there is still a good amount! I have 2 cams that are 5 kms apart and have been taking pics of 4 one the lower cam, and 3 one the higher cam all summer. All different bulls. There are lots of places out there just like this. No roads in and no fresh cuts. Get out there, walk and you'll stumble across one!

My home, i love it, there are moose hidden away, but holy shit there are lots of people hunting the GOS. I have heard rumors of it being shortened to 3 days next year, anybody else hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    My home, i love it, there are moose hidden away, but holy shit there are lots of people hunting the GOS. I have heard rumors of it being shortened to 3 days next year, anybody else hear that?
    3 days. Interesting. 20th to 22nd?

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Iv heard the same, a couple people from our local R&G were pushing for it.