Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At home deer butchering

At home deer butchering

Hey all I have started butchering my own deer these last 3 years and I have been having piles of fun learning all the cuts and different ways to cook deer meat. Here's a question for the other do it yourselfers, what's the best way to do up deer shank/ forearm? Normally I just cut all the silver skin off and turn it in to ground but it's excessively time consuming and yields very little meat. I find as you pull apart the shank it's just layers and layers of silver skin. How do you all turn deer shank into a tasty meal? I was thinking for cutting off the main layer of silver skin and chucking a few shanks into the crock pot with a bunch of bouillon and water for the day then draining the water and adding a bottle of BBQ sauce for pulled deer sandwiches.
    Last edited by luger; 09-24-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: At home deer butchering

Sounds perfect. I've never had BBQ sauce with deer, but I bet it's awesome.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Try an Osso buco recipe.
    Might make an awesome Osso bucko.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Yup, osso bucco is absolutly incredible with the shanks

Usually I bone out the lower part of the leg (knee to ankle, shank I guess although I have never called it that!), and either cut it into chunks for stew, or put it with the grinding stuff. If I am not going to be grinding anything for awhile, it becomes stew meat. Boning it is very easy, just about four strokes. Don't worry about the "silver skin", it is just another part of the meat, membrane I guess. You never see it in the stew!

I used to fight for hamburger also, not worth the frustration. I ended up doing some research and found out it's very simple. Just cut the shank out at the knee joints and either keep it whole or debone it and throw in slow cooker. First I brown the meat in a pan with oil, then make sure it's low and slow and covered in beef broth. You don't need to cut out any ligaments or any of the hard to deal with stuff. All of those tough parts actually render down and turn to a jelly like material keeping the meat juicy and adding extra flavor. I've been doing this for a few years now and it's become one of my new favorite cuts on the deer.

Take meat out and it literally falls apart, serve with mashed potatoes and gravy.

As said above, the whole shank braised in a crock pot is unreal!

i will never grind shank meat again.

Brad

Stew is great from shank. Bit it has to be slow cooked with liquid, for minimum 3 hours, 4 is better

Mmmm love shanks makes me want to go shoot a deer lol

Why, why, why do you guys spend ridiculous amounts of time wasting great food?

For burger and stew, Leave that silverskin on!
    Throw your steak/roast silverskin trimmings into the burger/sausage pile....

Silverskin is composed of collagen, and is flavourless. Collagen it what gelatine in made from....
    There is collagen in every muscle cell.

Grind the shanks WITH the silverskin, or use them for stew.
    I prefer to use them for stew. That is what they are for..

When cooked for a bit, it will make the best broth for stews and such....