Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At home deer butchering

Re: At home deer butchering

http://www.themeateater.com/2013/ven...-bucco-recipe/

I'm with Pin_head. I'll never grind a shank again.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Why, why, why do you guys spend ridiculous amounts of time wasting great food?

For burger and stew, Leave that silverskin on!
    Throw your steak/roast silverskin trimmings into the burger/sausage pile....

Silverskin is composed of collagen, and is flavourless. Collagen it what gelatine in made from....
    There is collagen in every muscle cell.

Grind the shanks WITH the silverskin, or use them for stew.
    I prefer to use them for stew. That is what they are for..

When cooked for a bit, it will make the best broth for stews and such....
    not true.....collagen is a soluble part of the animal and is what dissolves and gives broths etc. richness and jello jiggly-ness.... silver skin is made of elastin....not soluble... and tough. Elastin will not break down no mater how long its cooked....

I do not prefer to use a slow cooker....but rather I would take a shank, season it with salt and pepper....sear over high heat until a rich red caramelized colour is achieved.
    move to a deep dish that can hold a few shanks....add a sliced shallot or small onion, 2 cloves crushed garlic....fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, bay etc) either a few cups of red wine...or a dark rich beer...(guiness??) and enough broth or stock to cover. foil wrap with holes to let steam out....put in a 300* for about 4 hours.

the important part is to let the shanks cool in this broth for a while...they absurd the liquid and stay moist in your mouth.

once cool, remove the shanks...put the remaining broth (now a braisage) in a pot to reduce by 60-70% or until rich sauce is ready....strain out the chinks of onions etc.

just before your gonna plate...add a tablespoon of butter and whisk in until smooth and shiny

serve with whatever you like...keep it simple....mashed potatoes...polenta....who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff341 View Post
    not true.....collagen is a soluble part of the animal and is what dissolves and gives broths etc. richness and jello jiggly-ness.... silver skin is made of elastin....not soluble... and tough. Elastin will not break down no mater how long its cooked....

I do not prefer to use a slow cooker....but rather I would take a shank, season it with salt and pepper....sear over high heat until a rich red caramelized colour is achieved.
    move to a deep dish that can hold a few shanks....add a sliced shallot or small onion, 2 cloves crushed garlic....fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, bay etc) either a few cups of red wine...or a dark rich beer...(guiness??) and enough broth or stock to cover. foil wrap with holes to let steam out....put in a 300* for about 4 hours.

the important part is to let the shanks cool in this broth for a while...they absurd the liquid and stay moist in your mouth.

once cool, remove the shanks...put the remaining broth (now a braisage) in a pot to reduce by 60-70% or until rich sauce is ready....strain out the chinks of onions etc.

just before your gonna plate...add a tablespoon of butter and whisk in until smooth and shiny

serve with whatever you like...keep it simple....mashed potatoes...polenta....who cares.

If more detail is desired, your explanation is also incorrect.

Silverskin, or fascia, contains both collagen and elastin. The variance is a matter of %s....

Elastin most certainly is broken down by cooking. Otherwise your shank recipe would always be meat and strings rather than meat and jelly....

The main point here is that many new hunters have the impression that fascia must be removed due to it contributing undesired flavours to the meat.
    This is simply not true.

Generally, the same applies to fat. The fat on most ungulates is rarely strong tasting. The reason for trimming fat is Not due to flavour, it is because this fat has a high melting point compared to beef or pork. This results is ungulate fat hardening on the plate or in the mouth.... not a great dining experience to most of us.

I'll second this. "Silverskin" can just go into the grind. I have spent time removing, and have found no discernible difference in the taste of the meat if left in. Going to have to try out a shank in the slow cooker now.

Silverskin is composed of collagen, and is flavourless. Collagen it what gelatine in made from....

The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Thanks to Ironnoggin this thread made me a shank convert.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Venison-Shanks

Awesome good to know...last deer I butchered myself I spent a ridiculous amount of time on the silver skin..

I will never bother seperating shanks again. Once I started cooking them whole shanks have become one of my favorite dishes. This sites full of good info. https://honest-food.net/?s=Shanks

Oso bucco gets my vote
    majorguns

Quote Originally Posted by avadad View Post
    I will never bother seperating shanks again. Once I started cooking them whole shanks have become one of my favorite dishes. This sites full of good info. https://honest-food.net/?s=Shanks

Anything by Hank Shaw is awesome.

When braising venison shanks, add a bit more oil than a beef or lamb recipe would call for.