Thread: Meat grinder

Meat grinder

I am looking for a manual meat grinder to process maybe only 50 pounds a year of venison. Any recommendations or brands to stay away from. Anyone in courtenay area have one for sale ? Thanks guys

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Meat grinder

50lbs by hand would be a nightmare. I just did 4 five pounders with a smaller horsepower and it was a mission... more or less full day to completion. I followed Hank Shaws recipes and they call for a double grind while all the meat stays cold - really cold - more frozen than not. Maybe hook up the cordless drill?

Unless you have a #32 hand grinder, try and find an electric model. I used a hand grider for a while and it was too slow, especially when trying to keep the meat ice cold. If you have patience wait for a used model. I looked for about 6 months and would stop in at meat shops and ask if they knew of any and it finally paid off with a berkel grinder that could going 1500 lb an hr.

The small electric at princess auto does the job and is usually less money when on sale than the hand grinders. Ask for the sale price they will give it to you I know my branch here does.

50 lbs is a breeze, 100 lbs begins to get onerous
    Hand grinders are all metal parts, and never let you down
    Not many options for brands, they all get the job done. Take care in keeping and resharpening the blades
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Czechoslovakia made "Porkert" hand grinders are the best. Oldie but a goodie if you find one in a second hand store. If you know any Eastern Europains, I am sure they have one collecting dust some place.

What is your budget? Recently bought 3/4hp cabelas carnivore grinder. Works well but if I had the money I would get 1.5hp. Grinding 100lbs a year and it takes a while to double grind.
    Live to Hunt...

Easy peasy porkert grinder remove handle cut head off of 5/16 bolt and thread it into where handle retaining bolt go attach 1/2 " drill to bolt and presto! That sucker will shoot burger 3 feet out the end . 50$
    wonder what’s over the next hill?