Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Re: Is it just me?

I'm seeing usual amount if deer. Today I saw seven: one nice buck, three does, and the others I only saw their white behinds as they stotted away.

For me this year the problem is everything is so dry, it's impossible to move without making a ton of noise. I suppose this means I'd be better off ambush hunting, but inevitably I get bored and try something else, which this year means spooking deer.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Having moved to a location with resident deer, the bucks have disappeared and the does have totally gone nocturnal, they have been coming by everynight at the same time. I swear they got an email, it was a sudden change beginning of sept.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    How much wolf and other predator sign are you guys seeing?

I'm hearing more game is near human habitation for perceived protection than there is in the bush.
    no wolf sign in our usual haunts - except the one I shot near home last week. Yeah, most of our trail cam elk pics are at night (80%) but very few deer, day or night. The dryness definitely affected where the animals are but even where there is ample water I noticed numbers are down.
    Last edited by Brez; 09-25-2017 at 06:32 AM.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by keoke View Post
    everyone is shooting daytime bucks leaving the night bucks to breed passing on their nocturnal habbits.
    I think truth lays right there

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Wait until November...every year it seems I see less and less until the big boys suddenly show up and want some action with the girls....
    Same story here, watching many WT and Muley does and fawns around all the water holes, no boys yet, other than on the lawn in town that is.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Long hot summer - they are still in the deep dark timber, higher up - 4500+, or on north side slopes... they aren't coming out until the does are ripe... and we get some consistently colder weather. Patience... they don't get big by being dumb.

anyone else notice way more activity mid day than in the old days...seems we never used to see anything on our way back to camp for lunch but now seem to see more than in the early or late shooting light?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    anyone else notice way more activity mid day than in the old days...seems we never used to see anything on our way back to camp for lunch but now seem to see more than in the early or late shooting light?
    Or have you just gotten better over the years at spotting deer because you know what to look for or where to look?
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    Or have you just gotten better over the years at spotting deer because you know what to look for or where to look?
    um..nope...never used to see very many animals mid day but now seem to see quite a few....ps my eyes are not getting any better...heheh

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    Yes - but just Doh's and the odd spike...

Never seen a 4 point standing broadside in the middle of the road if that's what you meant...