Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: anyone know when the cattle in Reg 3 have to be in by?

Re: anyone know when the cattle in Reg 3 have to be in by?

Jesse? Spy?

Someone turn the lights off at the office?

I just feel the thread has gone from what should be an important conversation to bashing hence the shit show.

OMFG get a new thread where you can engage in your personal battles. Leave the poor wandering cows in Region 3 alone.
    Classic HBC. Starts out as a fairly legitimate thread about one issue, descends into the usual sniping over something unrelated.
    Maddening.

Agreed. Went hunting in region 3 last year. Didn't find the cattle an issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchellfried View Post
    Agreed. Went hunting in region 3 last year. Didn't find the cattle an issue at all.
    Same here, went out several times last few weeks, just work around the cows. It's not rocket surgery. I like how they tend to make nice trails to follow into cover areas that would otherwise be impassable. Also cover your boots in cowpoop makes a good free cover scent.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    May I have this statement clarified? My reading of this gives me the assumption that BCWF supported the grizzly hunt ban.....................

If you didn't mean it that way, please explain.
    Nope not what I was getting at but you can add it to the guides list of accomplishments thanks for bringing it up... My statement is as it reads

Wow, may be because its late and I'm grumpy being up all night, or just the fact that after 2-3 years of utter BS I'm actually getting completely sick of this BS that continues to plague "us".

In any case, this thread is a glaring example of how truly screwed we all are moving forward.

Cattle on the range have varying degrees of affect. When they are moved before the grass/browse gets so low it will support nothing, that's a reasonable use of the land.

When they are left to the point that every single piece of edible vegetation is denuded so that nothing could survive......then that's not so reasonable.

Ive backpacked into the headwaters of Juniper creek in the Ashnola after sheep where there was no place to even lay your sleeping bag down for all the cow crap. The beautiful, clean looking, rushing creek was befouled with shit and piss making it impossible to drink.

The headwaters/marshland where the creek begins was stomped into oblivion by thousands of cattle hoofprints.......nothing left of the riparian buffer but mud and cow shit.

The grass and browse was so low it wouldn't support a gopher. The cowboys had left garbage all over the place.

If ranchers want support from the hunting community they need to be better stewards of the land and show some respect for the what ultimately belongs to everybody.

To the ranchers that do a good job of managing the range....thank you.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Cattle on the range have varying degrees of affect. When they are moved before the grass/browse gets so low it will support nothing, that's a reasonable use of the land.

When they are left to the point that every single piece of edible vegetation is denuded so that nothing could survive......then that's not so reasonable.

Ive backpacked into the headwaters of Juniper creek in the Ashnola after sheep where there was no place to even lay your sleeping bag down for all the cow crap. The beautiful, clean looking, rushing creek was befouled with shit and piss making it impossible to drink.

The headwaters/marshland where the creek begins was stomped into oblivion by thousands of cattle hoofprints.......nothing left of the riparian buffer but mud and cow shit.

The grass and browse was so low it wouldn't support a gopher. The cowboys had left garbage all over the place.

If ranchers want support from the hunting community they need to be better stewards of the land and show some respect for the what ultimately belongs to everybody.

To the ranchers that do a good job of managing the range....thank you.

Well said, some seem to think that if there is a blade of grass left they haven't gotten their money's worth.

Curious with your particular statements in your examples. Was this observed on a particularly dry year or is it an annual happening?

We have areas of "sacrifice" on our range area. Look like hell IMO but the areas are minute in comparison with total sq. kms. One side of a meadow can be grazed and the other side untouched. It has been our observation that if cattle don't graze these swamps fairly well, next year's old bottom will force them to eat less of the plant. This progresses until they won't touch the area at all. We are have had such onerous restrictions from spring burning to essentially achieve the same effect as overgrazing the previous year and deal with brush encroachment that things look significantly different than they did 30 years ago.

Garbage left behind by anyone just raises the hair on the back of my neck, we have sure progressed as a species hey?

Your second last line has two interchangeable words. It works both ways Sir.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Wow, may be because its late and I'm grumpy being up all night, or just the fact that after 2-3 years of utter BS I'm actually getting completely sick of this BS that continues to plague "us".

In any case, this thread is a glaring example of how truly screwed we all are moving forward.
    Hunters will NEVER be unified...pipe dream for those that think its possible. It will always be about me, myself, and I...Threads like this show reason why the anti's will always have a leg up and a better cooperative approach in getting their agenda across to those in power. Look at the arguments cows in the bush cause...imagine a discussion of shutting down moose, goat or sheep?