Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone know when the cattle in Reg 3 have to be in by?

Re: anyone know when the cattle in Reg 3 have to be in by?

My son and I pulled up to a gate in region 3 earlier this season. We mistakenly thought we weren't allowed to open it so we turned around and left. We've literally never seen a gate like that before on the island and weren't sure what the protocol was.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Most of mine are steel. Chain around the post and they actually swing. Some still don't have the time to close them. 4 rail barways in good condition seem to be troublesome also.
    That's awesome but there are some real atrocities out there people call "gates". Unfortunately, you'll always have those who won't close them ... just like we'll always have people who can't stop flinging beer cans out the window.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I have a bundle of hay wire in my truck, use it just like duct tape. I have a problem with a range gate, I bust out the leatherman, and I ensure it works before I leave it! Sure hate to see a rancher lose a cow out there, its a hard enough way to make a living. That being said, I sure don't get much cooperation when I knock on a door to ask for permission to hunt for an elk. Sure hate getting lumped with the dyckheads! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    My son and I pulled up to a gate in region 3 earlier this season. We mistakenly thought we weren't allowed to open it so we turned around and left. We've literally never seen a gate like that before on the island and weren't sure what the protocol was.
    If it's open leave it ops. If it's closed close it behind you.. if in doubt close it..

Most ranchers won't complain if you close a gate that they want open but Will if you leave a closed gate open..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    I have a bundle of hay wire in my truck, use it just like duct tape. I have a problem with a range gate, I bust out the leatherman, and I ensure it works before I leave it! Sure hate to see a rancher lose a cow out there, its a hard enough way to make a living. That being said, I sure don't get much cooperation when I knock on a door to ask for permission to hunt for an elk. Sure hate getting lumped with the dyckheads! Moosin
    Eventually karma will come to you Moosin.. a good deed never hurt anyone..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    If you ranchers could make gates that are easier to close you'd probably have way less left open.
    I've seen some real sh** fences that have taken me 5 minutes of wrangling the high strung barbed wire to get it to close.
    I can totally see why people would just say "fu** it" and drive off.
    Yeah, some of those tight gates sure require some upper body strength to get the loop on the post

easily remedied with a short piece of rope
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

If the cows have to off the range land by a certain time, can/should the gates be left open?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Alright just to settle everyone's wadded up panties over my post.... I am just wondering because some areas I hunted for years just recently got "no hunting grazing lease" signs put up, and I did some research and found out that once there is no cattle on the lease the sign is void. I don't burn out on the grass, I don't move fences.... I park in one spot and walk down this buried fibre optic cable line that runs through the grazing lease.

h, If you find it open , leave it open
    its not your decision whether to leave open any gate.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Anyone know when hunting season is over? Getting annoyed with trespassers and dickheads leaving my gates open. Does that sound as nice as your post?
    Where is the "like" button. Nice comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    If you ranchers could make gates that are easier to close you'd probably have way less left open.

I've seen some real sh** fences that have taken me 5 minutes of wrangling the high strung barbed wire to get it to close.

I can totally see why people would just say "fu** it" and drive off.
    Never ever ever ever. If it's closed and you struggle to open it, you struggle to close it. Every time.
    Perhaps to help you out. I use a short length of rope with a pulley on one end of it. A quick throw around the post and gate post, feed the rope through the pulley and I have leverage. I you can't leave it as you found it, leave it alone.
    Last edited by J_T; 09-25-2017 at 08:33 AM.