View Poll Results: In your experience, has your hunting opportunity over the years:

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Increased

17 11.64%
  • Stayed the same

30 20.55%
  • Decreased

99 67.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The state of hunting in BC

Re: The state of hunting in BC

BearSupreme, it's good to see you recognize a problem.....some don't.
    Ourea, good post you put up as well.
    The more the wildlife issues are discussed the farther and faster the message will travel.

Some seem to think a big pot of cash will be the correction....and science....and more studies, etc.
    More funds thrown to the present bureaucratical quagmire will not make change.

The first thing needed is a new bus driver, one that stands as an independent...working for wildlife, taking input from all the players with a hand in the game....but keeping their own personal goals on a level with others.

Then we need a business plan....how much wildlife will an area support.....should it be deer, or moose or maybe elk.
    What are the limiting factors?
    If we dramatically increase ungulates in some areas, what will be the fallout....who and what will be the negative impacts?

If we are going to grow wildlife the new bus driver will have to assume the role of predator management.
    With the current grizzly issue its obvious that government is incompetent in predator management decisions.
    Back when BC had abundant ungulate populations predator levels were a fraction of what they are today.
    Will the new wildlife planners be able to stand up to the emotion driven public?

Then we get to the tough part.....habitat correction.
    Do we say "NO" to that new mine or dam that will do damage to wildlife species but create jobs?
    Will the new "wildlife boss" have the heart to tell his employees that access is going to be reduced?
    We can't have big numbers of moose, deer and elk, as in the past, with resource roads fragmenting the back country.
    The same goes for all forms of access, our rivers aren't exempt either.
    When 40+ boats are hunting one river, at the same time....wildlife is pressured.
    Access is is a huge issue and will continue to be.

There are are a lot of factors that have worked to put a downward spiral on ungulates.
    It will take dedicated, committed individuals and supporting organizations to reverse the dive.
    After that the cash....the science...and the appropriate fix come into play.

Bearvalley, I get the bigger picture, all stakeholders need to have the opportunity to be involved, that's a given.
    That's not the lead horse however.
    For this hbc audience to discuss how that would work would bury getting behind the fix first (the plan) and end up in endless derailments and arguments.....first nations this, outfitters that, regulation bla bla bla.

It would be like going to a steakhouse and talking about what everyone is going to order yet nobody has got a penny in their pocket to pay for it.

First and foremost the workings of a sustainable funding model needs to be platformed so parties can get behind it.
    In other words - no vision, no plan, no following.
    Next step is to say, "hey, we have a sustainable funding model to help wildlife, now how do we incorporate stakeholders while putting the needs of wildlife and vital habitat first"?

Get that initial platform off the ground and meaningful discussion with stakeholders will happen.
    That's the glue.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Ourea, you need a lead horse to keep the string lined out.
    Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Ourea, you need a lead horse to keep the string lined out.
    Think about it.
    I have thought about the lead horse and what it will look like over and over for some time.
    That horse is not any existing player or organization.
    Trust me when I say I have put a lot of thought into this and have had many discussions with respected peers on getting/creating a lead horse.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    If this were true they need to open a fulltime doe season. Some spots in reg 5 now wt are on par population size to mule deer.
    If that's the case then they definitely should....you should recommend that to the regional biologist.....look at how region 5 has had the least liberal hunting seasons, and by what I'm hearing from others, is doing the worst wildife numbers wise...just poor management...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    If that's the case then they definitely should....you should recommend that to the regional biologist.....look at how region 5 has had the least liberal hunting seasons, and by what I'm hearing from others, is doing the worst wildife numbers wise...just poor management...
    More and more every year for sure...although I've only taken one buck. Lots at night on my cams. Whitetail drive out muleys do they not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I have thought about the lead horse and what it will look like over and over for some time.
    That horse is not any existing player or organization.
    Trust me when I say I have put a lot of thought into this and have had many discussions with respected peers on getting/creating a lead horse.
    Trust me Ourea, you're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Trust me Ourea, you're not alone.
    Shoot me a PM with ur ph number.
    Love to jump on the phone for a chat on this specific issue.
    I think you understand I know/met/or have relationships with many stakeholders including Gov.
    I am not blind to the challenges.

In my mind, there is one challenge that trumps all others. Trust! Anti's don't trust hunters, hunters don't trust conservationists, First Nations don't trust hunters, hunters and guides don't trust First Nations, and nobody trusts guides or government.... you get the idea. The question is, who do we all trust?

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I am not blind to the challenges.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    In my mind, there is one challenge that trumps all others. Trust! Anti's don't trust hunters, hunters don't trust conservationists, First Nations don't trust hunters, hunters and guides don't trust First Nations, and nobody trusts guides or government.... you get the idea. The question is, who do we all trust?
    Obvious and a good question that has been asked in many a discussion.
    The governing entity will not come from within.
    Players and voices will remain.......both left and right.
    Who runs the show/administrates needs to be a group of highly qualified individuals with no ties to any stakeholder.