View Poll Results: In your experience, has your hunting opportunity over the years:

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Increased

17 11.64%
  • Stayed the same

30 20.55%
  • Decreased

99 67.81%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The state of hunting in BC

Re: The state of hunting in BC

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    Sooo...over hunting is not a problem and yet the regulations and seasons are too liberal?

And habitat loss is NOT an issue?

I will admit this is an interesting point of view.
    Yep. Some conflicting opinion in there.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Elk and white tail are expanding across bc. Moose and mule deer are contracting.

I would say these two statements are generally true, and the reasons are varied.

The main things threatening our hunting future are the urban elite looking at hunting as a negative, first nations taking greater control of all natural resources, and habitat loss.

Hunting pressure and predators are non starters for me.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Elk and white tail are expanding across bc. Moose and mule deer are contracting.

I would say these two statements are generally true, and the reasons are varied.

The main things threatening our hunting future are the urban elite looking at hunting as a negative, first nations taking greater control of all natural resources, and habitat loss.

Hunting pressure and predators are non starters for me.

True for elk. Worked on the Alaska highway from Pink mt. to Yukon in the 60's & 70's & never saw an elk or a buffalo-now there is an open season.
    They tried to introduce elk West of Fraser but unfortunately that failed due to some pressure from ranchers if I recall. Too bad! Elk used to inhabit the area not that long ago whereas moose did not.

Don't understand the white tail season in 5-03. Never saw one in the area. But always buy a tag just in case.
    Also read/heard that wild turkeys are migrating west, slowly but surely!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

^^^just look at how wt are expanding in reg 3 with the liberal seasons, I think they're trying to keep pressure on wt in regions 3 and 5 to really keep those areas muley strongholds..

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    This has been discussed endless times on HBC.
    And no disrespect to you BearSupreme and not trying to derail your thread.

Firstly, you can cross 'over hunting' off your list.
    Second, liberal seasons/poor regulation is none factor as well.
    There is endless science to support this debate.
    Hunting and regulations are not drivers for wildlife numbers decreasing in this province.

Why are some non hunted species declining at the same rate as hunted species?
    A lot of MU's have no mule deer doe season yet their numbers have imploded in most areas.
    Again, cross hunting and regulation off your list.

The apparent increase in some preds is obvious but the 'why' truly can't be answered.

Habitat challenges, erosion of winter range, fragmentation, that's a given.

The lack of investment in wildlife in this province is pathetic. It is one of our greatest resources yet there is no funding and no plan to address the current issues plaguing it let alone the future. Dollars need to be dedicated into defining and understanding the drivers that currently impact wildlife numbers.

Simply put....no dollars=no science and research=no true understanding=no solution.
    Even with solutions, without sustainable funding for said solutions, it will fix nothing.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we debate in the minutiae about the same topics over and over and over again..... that will fix nothing, that's been proven over decades. (A shortening of six point elk seasons won't solve decreasing cows numbers)

To sustain and rebuild wildlife with a funded plan should be the focus and discussion.
    Again, sorry to kinda derail your thread but these debates have been going on for years on this site......and decades within the hunting community.

great post above .........

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    This has been discussed endless times on HBC.
    And no disrespect to you BearSupreme and not trying to derail your thread.

Firstly, you can cross 'over hunting' off your list.
    Second, liberal seasons/poor regulation is none factor as well.
    There is endless science to support this debate.
    Hunting and regulations are not drivers for wildlife numbers decreasing in this province.

Why are some non hunted species declining at the same rate as hunted species?
    A lot of MU's have no mule deer doe season yet their numbers have imploded in most areas.
    Again, cross hunting and regulation off your list.

The apparent increase in some preds is obvious but the 'why' truly can't be answered.

Habitat challenges, erosion of winter range, fragmentation, that's a given.

The lack of investment in wildlife in this province is pathetic. It is one of our greatest resources yet there is no funding and no plan to address the current issues plaguing it let alone the future. Dollars need to be dedicated into defining and understanding the drivers that currently impact wildlife numbers.

Simply put....no dollars=no science and research=no true understanding=no solution.
    Even with solutions, without sustainable funding for said solutions, it will fix nothing.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we debate in the minutiae about the same topics over and over and over again..... that will fix nothing, that's been proven over decades. (A shortening of six point elk seasons won't solve decreasing cows numbers)

To sustain and rebuild wildlife with a funded plan should be the focus and discussion.
    Again, sorry to kinda derail your thread but these debates have been going on for years on this site......and decades within the hunting community.

Basically....Attaboy.....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

If you build it, they will come.....

That's habitat for you.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I personally am seeing more big mature BT bucks than ever in my life ... and im shooting them
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^just look at how wt are expanding in reg 3 with the liberal seasons, I think they're trying to keep pressure on wt in regions 3 and 5 to really keep those areas muley strongholds..
    If this were true they need to open a fulltime doe season. Some spots in reg 5 now wt are on par population size to mule deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I personally am seeing more big mature BT bucks than ever in my life ... and im shooting them
    I do concur. I'm shooting a lower class of bucks than Chopper is, and I'm not against a meat buck, but the old guys I talk to tell me that the areas I hunt are "shot out" so they don't bother. Ya gotta go north young man! The chilcotin is where to hunt!
    I see a lot of deer, bear, and elk when I'm hunting. Wolves, the odd cat on a trail cam. Dad never filled tags like we do when he was our age.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.