Thread: Alberta Waterfowl hunting

Alberta Waterfowl hunting

i was wondering if anyone could help,,,
    I am looking for a place in Alberta to go for ducks and geese,,currently living in the kootenays and our water fowling here is just ok at best,,we have had some successful days, however,, it sure isn't like being down on the flyways on the coast where it was fantastic and getting a limit sure didn't take long, or at least being able to shoot at ducks coming into the decoys.

i sure miss setting up decoys, and actually having more than a few ducks coming in..that being said..
    i am in Cranbrook and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to start, i have some information but looking for more input,,not "your" spots,, but general information and first hand experiences.
    thanks so much for anything you can provide.
    if you don't feel like posting,, please PM.
    thanks!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alberta Waterfowl hunting

When are you planning on going man? Also, do you want to get into more field shoots, water shoots, dark geese, white geese, etc?

Glad to help you out and point you to a few areas I've hunted before, depending on the time of season you want to make the trip. I'll shoot you a PM if easier.

I'm not a duck, goose hunter, but we do a trip to the Provost area in November and I've seen thousands of geese and ducks in the fields and sky. Absolutely an amazing site to see. I'm sure if you went door knocking the farmers would be more than happy to have a respectable, responsible hunters take a few dozen off their fields. Good luck.

I highly suggest you log into Duck's Unlimited's website, there are many area's owned by DU in Alberta that are available to hunt. If not approach farmers around Strathmore/Vulcan east of Calgary area and I'm sure with some manners you could definitely get a hunt in, maybe even a annual one with the folks who live in the area.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

If you have the gear, freelancing in Alberta can be awesome .WAY less pressure the sask or Manitoba. I have hunted just north of red deer and in the Strathmore area. Both places were covered in birds and farmers more then willing to let you on their land. Go to the local municipality and get the farmers map. It basically lays out all the properties and who owns them AND their phone numbers. ITs pretty much impossible to locate the farmers without it cause the blocks are so big
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.