Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does bleeding out virsus just gutting have anything to do with meat quality?

Re: Does bleeding out virsus just gutting have anything to do with meat quality?

Re: Does bleeding out virsus just gutting have anything to do with meat quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Animal are bled in a slaughter house because that's how they are killed. Bleeding a head shot deer is pointless if it's heart is not beating. Blood can't be pumped into the meat if the heart is not beating. If you wound an animal and cut its throat to kill it it will bleed out as if it was in a slaughter house.
    Not sure about now but cows used to be shot , goats and calves knocked on the head with a sledge , pigs and lambs are the only livestock I,ve seen slaughtered by cutting the jugular and I doubt it's done like that anymore.
    And yes I know as brains are considered tablefare they quit using lead bullets .

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Thanks , I thought it might have had something to do with the blood not keeping as well as the muscle or meat as well as possibly possibly adding gamey flavour ....

Knocked on the head and then bled out. The knock on the head didn't stop the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Knocked on the head and then bled out. The knock on the head didn't stop the heart.
    Point is blood continues to flow for long after the heart stops beating ..... basically as long as it's in the liquid form and has an exit point .....

Um shoot and clean quickly..

My first deer.

Nice mulie buck running straight away. Shot it right in the back of the skull cap, bullet came out between the eyes. Antlers were barely hanging on.

Gutted it right there (not much blood), and hauled it to the neighbour with the meat cooler. Hung it with the tractor, and skinned it, and it was in the cooler within 40 minutes of getting shot.

After hanging for a few days in the cooler, the entire hind quarters were turning black. We thought from blood in the meat, but that was our only guess. Coyote bait.

I've shot/gutted/skinned hundreds of animals since then and have never seen that happen again. No head shots, and no throat cuts, but all body shots that bled lots.

I agree with Dannybuoy, as long as the blood has not coagulated it will "run". Our animals are usually heart lung shots ,gutted right away, then skinned when we
    get home . Don't shoot many animals in the early season , so I don't worry too much about cooling the carcass by skinning right away as the weather is cool enough.
    There usually is a fair bit of blood dripping as we hang and skin the animal at home 2 or 3 hours later. Never had an animal that spoiled in any way.
    Never thought of using a torch to clean hair off the meat though. Thanks for the trick from the member who posted, "4 point whitetail down", we will try that
    this fall.

I have never tried to bleed an animal. Once it's dead you have to gut it as quickly as possible so that it can start cooling from the inside. I usually leave the hide on until back at camp. If I'm far away from the truck I go gutless method but still skin it as quick as I can. Hide comes off better when it's warm anyway. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I consider cooling the meat to be the only crucial step.

After I have gutted the animal I always pump the legs a few times. Amazing the amount of blood that comes out of each quarter and can then be drained/wiped out of the cavity.
    Think the main and only reason to cut throat was to insure the sucker was dead.