Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful caribou/moose hunt

Successful caribou/moose hunt

Many HBC’ers have tales about planning, anticipation, the hunt finally arriving. So, I thought I’d start out differently ….. ah screw it.
    For the past few years, I’ve been hoping to convince my hunting partner that we should switch things up and instead of floating a river, we should fork out the extra cash and do a fly-in hunt. When, last winter, he said he was up for it to say I was more than pleased would be an understatement. Some helpful advice from a friend who successfully tagged a caribou last season, plenty of looking over Google Earth and topo maps and we had our destination chosen by February. A couple of calls to BC Yukon Air to arrange a suitable date and we were all set to head off into the mountains.
    Fast forward to September and finally we were underway from the lower mainland. We have driven to Ft. Nelson a few times over the past few years but this year’s drive up to Dease Lake seemed to take a heckuva lot longer. The road got narrower and narrower as we headed north but did nothing to dampen the enthusiasm in our group.Many HBC’ers have tales about planning, anticipation, the hunt finally arriving. So, I thought I’d start out differently ….. ah screw it.
    For the past few years, I’ve been hoping to convince my hunting partner that we should switch things up and instead of floating a river, we should fork out the extra cash and do a fly-in hunt. When, last winter, he said he was up for it to say I was more than pleased would be an understatement. Some helpful advice from a friend who successfully tagged a caribou last season, plenty of looking over Google Earth and topo maps and we had our destination chosen by February. A couple of calls to BC Yukon Air to arrange a suitable date and we were all set to head off into the mountains.
    Fast forward to September and finally we were underway from the lower mainland. We have driven to Ft. Nelson a few times over the past few years but this year’s drive up to Dease Lake seemed to take a heckuva lot longer. The road got narrower and narrower as we headed north but did nothing to dampen the enthusiasm in our group.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Successful caribou/moose hunt

We got to Dease Lake the day before our flight out, checked in at the floatbase to determine our departure time the next day and spent another anticipation-filled night in a nearby campground.

Finally, it was go-day. We got to the floatbase early and while we waited for flight arrangements to be sorted, we chatted with another group who were headed to NoTellUm Lake for a second year.

Our group headed out first and as the Beaver taxied around to clear the condensation on the windshield, it finally sunk in that our trip was about to happen.

Looking forward to this....
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

More!!!!!!!
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

It took a couple of flights to get everyone and our gear to our destination and by early afternoon, camp was set up and we were enjoying the peace and quiet of a northern lake. We spent a couple of hours that day scouting some of the nearby terrain and getting a lay of the land.

Damn imgur

Everyone was up early on opening morning, only to find we were socked in with low lying fog and a good amount of wet snow. Those conditions stayed with us throughout the first day, which made for difficult glassing conditions. Nevertheless, we came across a couple of small groups of caribou, none of which were legal but buoyed our spirits for the week ahead.

The sky began to lift on Day 2 which helped to reveal the splendour of the mountains in beautiful fall colours. Sightings of more caribou – although, once again, no legal bulls – made for good story-telling when we re-grouped at camp at the end of the day.