Many HBC’ers have tales about planning, anticipation, the hunt finally arriving. So, I thought I’d start out differently ….. ah screw it.
For the past few years, I’ve been hoping to convince my hunting partner that we should switch things up and instead of floating a river, we should fork out the extra cash and do a fly-in hunt. When, last winter, he said he was up for it to say I was more than pleased would be an understatement. Some helpful advice from a friend who successfully tagged a caribou last season, plenty of looking over Google Earth and topo maps and we had our destination chosen by February. A couple of calls to BC Yukon Air to arrange a suitable date and we were all set to head off into the mountains.
Fast forward to September and finally we were underway from the lower mainland. We have driven to Ft. Nelson a few times over the past few years but this year’s drive up to Dease Lake seemed to take a heckuva lot longer. The road got narrower and narrower as we headed north but did nothing to dampen the enthusiasm in our group.Many HBC’ers have tales about planning, anticipation, the hunt finally arriving. So, I thought I’d start out differently ….. ah screw it.
For the past few years, I’ve been hoping to convince my hunting partner that we should switch things up and instead of floating a river, we should fork out the extra cash and do a fly-in hunt. When, last winter, he said he was up for it to say I was more than pleased would be an understatement. Some helpful advice from a friend who successfully tagged a caribou last season, plenty of looking over Google Earth and topo maps and we had our destination chosen by February. A couple of calls to BC Yukon Air to arrange a suitable date and we were all set to head off into the mountains.
Fast forward to September and finally we were underway from the lower mainland. We have driven to Ft. Nelson a few times over the past few years but this year’s drive up to Dease Lake seemed to take a heckuva lot longer. The road got narrower and narrower as we headed north but did nothing to dampen the enthusiasm in our group.