Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

Got an old friend who I took deer hunting last fall.He's a newb and now wants to come moose hunting with my son and I.He was a pain in the ass.Smoking dope (I don't).Woke up like 5 times a night to piss and kept overfilling woodstove.I woke up sweating my ass off.Says he will help cook and clean.Didn't happen.I should just" lay it out " for him but will sound like an asshole.Or just give him some bullshit excuse?I'm sure some of you folks have had the same dilemma?What would you do? Mark

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What would you do?

Do you work/have to interact with him in any other way?

If not, tell him to pound sand.

Just tell him you and your kid are going solo.

Well you either lay it out and take him,may not change his ways. Lay it out and don't take him, probably won't be happy. If it was me I'd tell him this hunt is important to me as I get to spend time with my son and enjoy each others company(the truth I hope). Why let a third party maybe ruin your hunt.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Yup I would just say this is a hunt for me and my son, hope to make it a family tradition .
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

It sounds pretty clear that it is not a good fit for you and your family. I would tell him that and wish him luck going forward. At some point unless it is a totally positive hunting partnership all new hunters should be cut loose to find their own way.

Yep father and son solo hunt.

It's easier breaking up with a hot sugar mamma than a hunting buddy. But breaking up with a hunting buddy is a lot more common. I hunt with different guys for different reasons, depending on what type of adventure i'm looking for.

I maybe wouldn't cut buddy out of all future hunting trips. But he may make the trip for your kid and yourself more of a chore than an experience.

Can't blame a man for a small bladder, but the dope and stove is a different story.

Like others have said.
    You just want it to be a father and son hunt.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I don't know maybe it's just me but if it was a true old friend of mine it wouldn't bother me. He smokes some pot ok big deal..better than the knee walking drunk guys I run into occasionaly....pisses a lot not his fault and he's probably just trying to be a good guy by keeping the fire going. Maybe he doesn't know how to cook?