Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping dust out of canopy?

Keeping dust out of canopy?

Bought my first canopy a few months ago. Have noticed when driving on dusty roads that a fair bit of dust gets into the canopy, and all over my stuff! I took the canopy off and redid all the weather stripping. Didn't make a noticeable difference. Pretty sure it is entering around the rear window, and/or around the tailgate.

I don't expect to 100% stop dust from getting in. Obviously there is no way to completely seal up the gaps/cracks around the rear window and tailgate, but hopefully there is some way to minimise it from getting in?

If not perhaps I'll just throw a big blanket over everything and shake it out when I get to my destination.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Keeping dust out of canopy?

Go to Lordco or princess and buy some 1" foam tape 1/4" thick.
    Clean all the mating surfaces with degreaser or alcohol so it sticks well.
    Apply said foam tape on all mating surfaces of canopy window and tailgate etc, even across the bed floor so the tape gets pinched when you close the tailgate.
    Looks a little old man mickey mouse but it keeps all the dust out, the dust drove me nuts until I did this.

good foam along the bed rails... and a roll of duct tape for the back lol..... We camped in out truck for years, needed to keep dust out as all our gear was there,,, sleeping bags etc..... 90% of the dust comes right through the back

An airfoil of sorts might help. It's all about vortexes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex Cars use spoilers and you could probably put one on your truck.

Great tip on the foam tape, TexasWalker. I'll have to try that before hitting the FSRs in 2 weeks.

What style is your bed liner? I think the drop in inserts are more problematic for dust than a spray in liner.

The back window and tailgate act like a big vacuum. It sucks dust through every port in the box. The only way I found to keep the dust out was to buy painters tape and tape and stuff rags in all the gaps around the tailgate and canopy lid. Tonneau covers are bad too for dust. Those drain gaps in the front of the box let dust in too. Rags and painters tape are your friend.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

It will rain again soon, I promise...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Crack a window open a bit - it will vent and eliminate the vacuum effect you have when driving on dusty roads. Seems weird to open the window a bit but it actually works.
    That being said you won't get rid of every bit of dust, but it will reduce it a lot.

X2 on the foam tape around the tailgate and canopy door, I'v used it for years for this purpose.