Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Domestic Dogs.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Shooting Domestic Dogs.

20 years ago I was out hunting, seen a few doe and a small buck, but lots of wolf sign. I was heading down the mountain and the old road I was on I passed a ragged old motor home heading in maybe 30 min earlier. I was at a good spot and stopped to have a coffee and watch the side hill and about 400 yards down the road this bid wolf comes running onto the road and straight towards me, and darting from side to side on the road smelling I assume. I got out and set up against a stump looking at the wolf in my scope, and I kept thinking I should shoot, but also kept thinking if it is going to keep coming my way then let it get closer. I waited what seemed like forever, and it was big and dark with grey marks on head. Then it saw me or my truck and came running full speed , then I figured this is not right, and turns out it was a husky Shepard cross dog, and he was dog tired too. I wondered if it was the folks from the motor home, so loaded dog into back of truck and sure enough they stopped a few miles back to get out and check branch road sign covered by brush and the dog must have jumped out the open door and they did not see, and carried on. They got their dog back and I just about had a unique mount on my wall .
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Shoot your own dog = legal
    Shoot someone else's= trouble for you

Used to have some wild dogs running around and breeding do too delinquent owners. They are worse than any coyote for killing, they killed for sport. You'd get on their tracks and would look just like a coyote track, walk in a perfect straight line. They would run in packs 3 or 4 together and we're not scared of humans.
    it is illegal to shoot your own dog or put someone else's dog down for them.......been through this once

Oh man, there seems to be only 2 opinions on dogs to me.

In farm/ranch country, it's not unusual to have ones dog wander off and not come back, and also not unusual to shoot dogs you don't recognize in with the livestock.
    They are free, they are tools, and if they are no good, there's always another to try out.

On the other hand, there are city peoples dogs. More important than humans. They are very expensive. And they are ****ing useless. And if one dies it's all over facebook and there's a gofund me page.

I've had some awesome dogs, but they are very few and very far between.

Drillbitt i agree in farm country they live or not

This is something that has haunted me for years, I lived in the city, Burns Bog to be exact early 80's on Huston Rd. We leased 50 acres and ran it as a farm, horses as a main stay. Hunter/jumper. We where right beside the Delta pound. Dumbass people would drop off their dogs "close" to the pound because the didn't have the guts to actually drop the animals at the pound, so what's going to happen? My chicken coop was open game. Shot more than me one stray ripping my n to my chicken coop. The absolute worse encounter, we had bred a top line throughbred mare to a Hanavarian stud warm blood, hoping to breed a new champion. 9 months go by and we have a beautiful filly at foot. When she was 10 days old we turn her and mom out in the paddock off 80th. I'm not in the barn mucking stalls when I hear the mare screaming, I go out and their is a dog chasing a 10 day old filly around the paddock. In to the house grabbed a shotgun and went down the road to the paddock. Their is a couple leaning on my gate watching their dog chase my 10 day trip old filly thinking it's cute. They saw me with shotgun in hand and asked what I was hunting? "That dog that is running a 10 day old foal" you can't do that, I told them to call the dog back now! By this time mare and foal are very stressed. I gave them 3 loops of their dog chasing my filly around the paddock to call him back, he wouldn't listen 4 time around dirt nap. They where pissed, I was charged but in the end I was doing what I was as legally allowed to do. Sunbury Gun was just down the road run by a great gentleman Bill Johnson, some shanangins........ but that's another story.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    it is illegal to shoot your own dog or put someone else's dog down for them.......been through this once
    Not nearly as black and white as this statement. There are many reasons to shoot a dog, your own or someone elses , that are legal.
    My sister lost a $25,000 horse because of a dog out "harmlessly" playing with the horses. The dog owner was shocked to find out that she was responsible for the $25,000.
    Same dog owner soon let her dog roam again after this incident, it again was out chasing the horses, dog was shot, she tried to make a stink about it but the RCMP said killing the dog was the horse owners right.

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    Not nearly as black and white as this statement. There are many reasons to shoot a dog, your own or someone elses , that are legal.
    My sister lost a $25,000 horse because of a dog out "harmlessly" playing with the horses. The dog owner was shocked to find out that she was responsible for the $25,000.
    Same dog owner soon let her dog roam again after this incident, it again was out chasing the horses, dog was shot, she tried to make a stink about it but the RCMP said killing the dog was the horse owners right.
    that is the exception...under right to farm legislation if you are the farmer you have the right to shoot dogs harassing your animals ...joe average, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Oh man, there seems to be only 2 opinions on dogs to me.

In farm/ranch country, it's not unusual to have ones dog wander off and not come back, and also not unusual to shoot dogs you don't recognize in with the livestock.
    They are free, they are tools, and if they are no good, there's always another to try out.

On the other hand, there are city peoples dogs. More important than humans. They are very expensive. And they are ****ing useless. And if one dies it's all over facebook and there's a gofund me page.

I've had some awesome dogs, but they are very few and very far between.
    The city/country (urban/rural) divide is a huge part of many of our issues. I think we need a de-urbanization to move people closer to their food sources and the environment. I'd much rather see 50 towns of 25,000 separated by 20 miles of trees, fields and prairies rather than one large city of 1.25 Million that is devoid of nature and has no connection to their food.

There is a difference between shooting a dog:

1) chasing livestock (shoot after a warning to owner unless in act of killing -- understand if no warning is given)
    2) chasing city deer (praise dog)
    3) chasing game in the bush (muddy)

The chasing game in the bush, well if there are wolves around, the dogs will be dead soon. If not, the cost (shooting dogs) to benefits (saving deer) seems pretty weighed pretty high on the cost side. Unless it is a problem dog, how many deer is that dog really killing.

The average individual can't shoot a dog running deer
    Yes you can, just got to get the lead right.