Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Domestic Dogs.

Shooting Domestic Dogs.

First off I am a dog owner and dog owner. Like the dogs I had as a kid as a extra set of Eyes for my parents and a companion for my sister and I, Today I have the same. last year I lost my Family dog due to a tragic event and I was very upset. I have a new dog but it doesn`t replace her.

So every year we hear story`s of someone`s dog being shot that said in farm country or der chasers it is generally known it does and will happen.

Who hear has almost or have shot one in error.

I will start after a long drive to visit my dad and go deer hunting I showed up and he had family over I did not really feel like visiting so I drove another hour to my uncles house same thing.

I wanted to hunt not sit around a kitchen table so I headed a couple hours north for a big loop being in my early 20 very under prepared I had a lighter, a knife a sleeping bag and a 30-06.

as evening crept in I was in the middle of nowhere and came across a blue grouse ummnn dinner.

as the sun went down I decided to sleep under the stars with just a sleeping bag.

at about 2 in the morning I hear something running straight at me its very dark, I pull my 30-06 out from underneath me chamber a round and aim at the sleek creature running at me very quick.

as I took a bead and lead the ferocist beast like a duck flying straight on something wasn't quite right and I heard a metallic noise and the happiest greyhound I ever saw came up to me and licked my hand.

That night gram as I later named him cuddled with me and the next two days we shared gram crackers and grouse looking for his owner. Hence his name (gram)

when I got to the last kilometer of the fsr road I was sure gram was my new dog I saw a camp hidden in the corner when I stopped in and asked if they where missing a dog they said yes his name is grey and hes a greyhound I gave them there dog back we had a beer and a laugh and that's my close to shooting a dog

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shooting Domestic Dogs.

I was set up watching a group of does for about an hour waiting for Mr. Buck to show up, my waiting paid off and he arrived. I decided he was a shooter and was chambering a round when the tails went up. I thought I spooked them but then out of nowhere come running two dogs, a retriever and a collie looking Heinz 57 type. I was about 1km from the nearest vehicle access and these two dogs came out of nowhere and chased off the deer.

They almost got shot.

I never did find anyone around who may have been with the dogs.

That's the closest I've come to shooting a dog(s).

My wife's cousin tells this story about his grandmother and the neighbor's "dogs", likely, it is embellished a bit but the story is plausible:

They lived in the Okanagan and had some goats, sheep and chickens. The neighbor's mutts kept coming over and harassing the livestock and the chickens. These neighbors, while nice people, had recently moved up from the city and didn't quite understand country respect and "protocol". Eventually, a couple of the sheep ended up with some bite marks. So, granny went over and warned them to keep their dogs locked up or on a leash or she would shoot them. They laughed it off. A few days go by. Same thing. Animals have bite marks, granny can see the dogs running in the field, then back to the neighbors property. So, granny went over again and warned the neighbors that if their dogs came on the property again, she would shoot them. This went on for about a week before granny got fed up.
    You have to picture this. The nicest 60ish year old lady you'll meet, coming over again and again and warning you that she is going to shoot your dogs. They laughed it off. The last time she came over she let them know she was serious and this was their "last warning".
    They blathered on about it being illegal and a few other things. A few days go by. The sheep are spooked again and running. Granny grabs her rifle, sees the dogs and fires a few shots from the barn towards the pasture at about 100 yards.

Needless to say, having lived in the country for a good few years, granny was a good shot. Both dogs down. The neighbors must have heard the shots and came out looking to see what happened. They called the RCMP. Police show up. Granny explains the situation. The RCMP explain the situation to the neighbors and educate the city folks about the legal rights of livestock owners to protect their livelihood. They were steaming. Yelling obscenities. Screeching that she was a murderer. Eventually, everyone settles down, the police leave and life goes back to normal...

Until...

A few weeks later...

The neighbors property went up for sale...

With a note about selling for "personal reasons".

Friend of mine shot a dog he believed to be running deer,he witnessed it chasing deer. It got him in a bit of hot water. Don,t assume you are legal in shooting a dog chasing a deer.

The average individual can't shoot a dog running deer. A CO can, but not just Joe Average.

Same dog running your horse around in your pasture? Perfectly legal to kill it on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    The average individual can't shoot a dog running deer. A CO can, but not just Joe Average.

Same dog running your horse around in your pasture? Perfectly legal to kill it on the spot.
    I don't think I could shoot somebodies dog anyways. I felt like it when they ran those deer off but I figure I'll find another deer but the kids in the family who own those dogs don't deserve to lose there pets. I'd much rather slap the shit out of the owners for being dumb enough to let their dogs chase deer around especially during hunting season. It pissed me off at the time which is why I searched for somebody around who may be with the dogs but seemed like the dogs were just out on one hell of a good adventure.

Never shot one or got close to it, but I've definitely lost some chances on coyotes by being too cautious.
    I would feel terrible if I shot someones dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
    I don't think I could shoot somebodies dog anyways. I felt like it when they ran those deer off but I figure I'll find another deer but the kids in the family who own those dogs don't deserve to lose there pets. I'd much rather slap the shit out of the owners for being dumb enough to let their dogs chase deer around especially during hunting season. It pissed me off at the time which is why I searched for somebody around who may be with the dogs but seemed like the dogs were just out on one hell of a good adventure.
    i would have trouble shooting solo wolves/coyotes worried that i might hurry a shot and end up misidentifying/shooting someones pet thinking it was a wild animal....i would be way more upset about dogs chasing deer in the middle of winter than during hunting season though....

I know of an owner who yearly would be up where we hunt in November, looking for their dog.
    And they told us stories how quite often the dog would show up with a hind quarter (happened numerous times)
    Dog was a large Bull mastiff cross.
    I would tell them when I saw it etc to help.
    But one year, they couldn't find it....????
    I told them "you know, if some hunter (some, not all) may not like seeing that"
    And, if the wrong hunter is out there, and sees that dog taking down or even chasing, it may be in troubles.
    I know a hunter doesn't have a right...but....there are a few who will get mad, and not think it out, and...well...you know.
    They didn't like that comment...!!??
    I was being honest...trying to let them know, that they are putting their dog at risk.
    This is not happening on private property, and I have chatted with the owners of this dog countless times over the years,
    and, conversation always starts with them showing up, looking for their dog.
    They know it's up to no good quite often, and they know it is all over the place up there, for weeks at a time.
    Yet, they do nothing to stop it!!??
    I am not saying that the dog was shot...who knows, maybe after my last statement to them, they smartened up???
    Or....who knows....maybe they didn't come by to ask anymore...or...
    Maybe they realized that it was best to keep this dog chained, if it can't be supervised???
    In the end, these people loved their dog...but....wouldn't you take the time to make sure your dog is not at risk??

I have already told my story about the dog that "came out of nowhere, at full charge", on the other thread, so that's my experience with that situation.

Shoot your own dog = legal
    Shoot someone else's= trouble for you

Used to have some wild dogs running around and breeding do too delinquent owners. They are worse than any coyote for killing, they killed for sport. You'd get on their tracks and would look just like a coyote track, walk in a perfect straight line. They would run in packs 3 or 4 together and we're not scared of humans.