Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Domestic Dogs.

Re: Shooting Domestic Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    Yes you can, just got to get the lead right.
    4-6' seems to be just right.

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    Yes you can, just got to get the lead right.
    Dark Humour...

What is the first thing a man feels after shooting a dog?

Recoil of his rifle.

You can 100% legally shoot your own dog, cat, chicken, horse, cow, goat,llama etc as long as you own it. Or I guess shoot the owners animal if you have permission.

And for whatever reason you want if your the owner

i guess the issue would be if you did it with a shovel you could get cruelty charges. That's the laws in place, they pertain to how.

The animal is nit supposed to suffer and death be instantaneous.

And pretaining to animals at large you can find the guide lines set by BC livestock, outlines it
    Last edited by firebird; 09-21-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    You can 100% legally shoot your own dog, cat, chicken, horse, cow, goat,llama etc as long as you own it. Or I guess shoot the owners animal if you have permission.

i guess the issue would be if you did it with a shovel you could get cruelty charges. That's the laws in place, they pertain to how.

And pretaining to animals at large you can find the guide lines set by BC livestock, outlines it
    I thought I read where you are no longer allowed to euthanize your own dog thanks to the spca and the other bleeding hearts ... isn't this where SSS is relevant??

Quote Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
    My wife's cousin tells this story about his grandmother and the neighbor's "dogs", likely, it is embellished a bit but the story is plausible:

They lived in the Okanagan and had some goats, sheep and chickens. The neighbor's mutts kept coming over and harassing the livestock and the chickens. These neighbors, while nice people, had recently moved up from the city and didn't quite understand country respect and "protocol". Eventually, a couple of the sheep ended up with some bite marks. So, granny went over and warned them to keep their dogs locked up or on a leash or she would shoot them. They laughed it off. A few days go by. Same thing. Animals have bite marks, granny can see the dogs running in the field, then back to the neighbors property. So, granny went over again and warned the neighbors that if their dogs came on the property again, she would shoot them. This went on for about a week before granny got fed up.
    You have to picture this. The nicest 60ish year old lady you'll meet, coming over again and again and warning you that she is going to shoot your dogs. They laughed it off. The last time she came over she let them know she was serious and this was their "last warning".
    They blathered on about it being illegal and a few other things. A few days go by. The sheep are spooked again and running. Granny grabs her rifle, sees the dogs and fires a few shots from the barn towards the pasture at about 100 yards.

Needless to say, having lived in the country for a good few years, granny was a good shot. Both dogs down. The neighbors must have heard the shots and came out looking to see what happened. They called the RCMP. Police show up. Granny explains the situation. The RCMP explain the situation to the neighbors and educate the city folks about the legal rights of livestock owners to protect their livelihood. They were steaming. Yelling obscenities. Screeching that she was a murderer. Eventually, everyone settles down, the police leave and life goes back to normal...

Until...

A few weeks later...

The neighbors property went up for sale...

With a note about selling for "personal reasons".
    Raincoast folks?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Driving home tonight i saw a pack of white wolves exactly where this small split 4 point muley has been all summer..
    The 3 white beasts over 80 lbs pounds each where face covered in blood feasting on the 4 points remains..
    I pulled the scope caps off pulled a u turn its go time.shells in my left hand i pulled in classicly i am cautous but it looked like 3 white wolves..
    I will glady report the neighbours 3 guardian dogs have a belly full of deer meat. And went home and hopefully shit on there porch.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post

somewhere close to 10yrs ago my best friends asked me to put his dog down. The dog was very old and had gotten to the point it was dying. I did what I was asked and put his dog down. Some crazy woman from town was out in the bush and heard the shot and came to investigate.......in the end the cops didn't press charges because of my friend and his father. During my conversations with the officer, I was told that it is illegal to put down your dog or someone else's.

Why aren't stray dogs and cats on Schedule B? They're non-native, and prone to damaging property. Far less vital to the ecosystem than raccoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    somewhere close to 10yrs ago my best friends asked me to put his dog down. The dog was very old and had gotten to the point it was dying. I did what I was asked and put his dog down. Some crazy woman from town was out in the bush and heard the shot and came to investigate.......in the end the cops didn't press charges because of my friend and his father. During my conversations with the officer, I was told that it is illegal to put down your dog or someone else's.
    Strange as it may sound, cops aren't always up to date on actual law.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Driving home tonight i saw a pack of white wolves exactly where this small split 4 point muley has been all summer..
    The 3 white beasts over 80 lbs pounds each where face covered in blood feasting on the 4 points remains..
    I pulled the scope caps off pulled a u turn its go time.shells in my left hand i pulled in classicly i am cautous but it looked like 3 white wolves..
    I will glady report the neighbours 3 guardian dogs have a belly full of deer meat. And went home and hopefully shit on there porch.
    those Great Pyrenees, kuvasz type guard dogs are terrible for running game and wandering. Elk hounds also. I've had to shoot a few dogs that were chasing sheep, cattle, killing the turkeys ect. I always feel bad about it, but people should keep their dogs at home. I've had some "interesting" conversations with the owners of some, but all of those were asked beforehand to keep their dogs off our place.