Thread: LEH Roosevelt Elk: 2-05G

LEH Roosevelt Elk: 2-05G

I have talked to a few people but figured I would post a thread on here, as more information is always helpful. I've won an LEH for Roosevelt in Jervis Inlet, being in the Deserted River area (2-05 Zone G). I haven't been up the inlet before, but have sorted out our method of transportation and hunting. We are planning to head in by water taxi and then travel around on mountain bikes.

I've looked through previous threads to find a bit of information on the area, but can't find a whole lot about this particular zone. I've been forwarded on to the Deserted River and Stakawus areas. I am pretty set on the Stakawus, because of the older and recent logging cutblocks providing good road access, which will be a bit better hunting. The Deserted seems to have First Nations area along the shoreline (viewed on Frontcounter), so from what I know I'm cutting that area out. It looks as if there was somewhat current logging in the Stakawus on maps, but I am unsure as to how I would figure that out.

If anyone has any knowledge on the area, tips for hunting Roosevelt Elk post-rut (mid-October), or tips for hunting the Coast in general, I am all ears. Would it be worth it to call? I'd assume primarily cow, and not bugle. Which areas should I expect to see them in? I would be very appreciative for anything!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH Roosevelt Elk: 2-05G

I had a draw up Jervis Inlet a few years back, I was given some good information from the reginoal biologist Darryl Reynolds, He was overseeing the elk for the area at that time. I no longer have his number but im sure it can be obtained through a quick net search. Congratulations on the draw and good luck on the hunt!, Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Gs31 View Post
    I had a draw up Jervis Inlet a few years back, I was given some good information from the reginoal biologist Darryl Reynolds, He was overseeing the elk for the area at that time. I no longer have his number but im sure it can be obtained through a quick net search. Congratulations on the draw and good luck on the hunt!, Greg
    I was going to recommend Daryl as well. He is always very helpful to tag winners

Sent you a PM
    Cheers

Thank you all for your input, this is much more than I thought. I'll give Darryl a call as it sounds like he is very knowledgeable about the area. Any tips on anything in general, I'll take!

I had the bull elk draw up Skawakwa last year and went up for the last week of the draw. I searched through posts here and reached out to Recoil who was helpful with some info. At the end of the day you just have to get up there and see what's there. I didn't get an elk but am glad that I made it up there and saw the area. If you're taking a water taxi, why not bring a quad up as well?

Don't have access to quads, only mountain bikes. It sounds like we'll be able to cover ground fast enough in the area with bikes, being around ~2ish hours someone told me to the back of the valley.