Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe there really is something wrong with the LEH system

Maybe there really is something wrong with the LEH system

So, over the years many suggestions have appeared on this site that the LEH system is "rigged" or screwed up in some way. Some people apply for years and never get drawn while others are repeat winners with tags in back to back years. I always believed that it was computer driven and that there was no reason for inequities to occur. However, a recent post indicated that this year, a hunter received an LEH authorization for moose with his second choice for Oct.1-14 in region 5-02C. That should be impossible. Second choice success is only possible if there are unfilled authorizations available after all applications for that hunt have been run through the draw process. 5-02C has odds of 12.5:1 (will vary slightly from year to year) which means there are twelve times as many applicants as authorizations available. It is impossible for one to be available for a second choice. This aberration, or perhaps more accurately, this error, needs to be brought to the attention of those in charge of the LEH system for an explanation.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Maybe there really is something wrong with the LEH system

Orrrr the whole thing was just a lie to stir the pot as many like to do?

Oooorrrr, he mixed the hunt numbers as to which was first choice or second choice
    Ask me how I know this can happen..........
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

It is computer driven. There is a PDF file that gives a very good description of how the draw is done. Here is a link to the PDF.
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...leh_system.pdf
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

I noticed that too but didn't say anything. I don't think he won his second I think he made a mistake

So in the scenario you describe, it is possible to get assigned a second choice hunt, although I believe it to be rare. For instance, if all or most people applying for a 5-02C hunt in early Oct only listed it as their 2nd choice, then of course it would be available when the computer runs through for the 2nd choice hunts.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Interesting, and the only logical..... hang on. I think it's safe to say that odds are formulated from first choice applications only. Only way to find this out is, what were the odds of this years hunt in 5-02C?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    So in the scenario you describe, it is possible to get assigned a second choice hunt, although I believe it to be rare. For instance, if all or most people applying for a 5-02C hunt in early Oct only listed it as their 2nd choice, then of course it would be available when the computer runs through for the 2nd choice hunts.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Its been wrong forever can be fixed to be more fair to others that never get picked what management needs to do is pull up their skirts and the pants sharpen the pencils and some work on the system and if its revenue that is stopping this from happening we could donate to there needs to make this happen I know I would donate some money for this to happen..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 09-19-2017 at 04:32 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

A young lady from Langley got a moose draw 3 years in a row. I've been waiting 6 years now for one.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Only way you can do it fairly tho, if you make it illegal to apply if you won last year this year, that wood be unfair and not done, it was thought of tho. Maybe on a special sheep draw eetc.
    -- The LEH system ain't perfect but nothing is perfect, but it is a well run system in my own opinion from seeing it dee vel up, over the decades in BC
    BC has a good reputation for wild life management by the Ministry, it never gave up and still trying.
    I think eventually leh will be thee main part of hunting anything other than general open deer seasons.
    Jel -- The best to our BC Wildlife Ministry in 2017 and beyond in animal management --