Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe there really is something wrong with the LEH system

Re: Maybe there really is something wrong with the LEH system

Hey Jelly

I love your posts and this is not a personal attack against you, but British Columbia does not have a good reputation for wildlife management. It's pretty terrible stacked up against any of that Western states or even Alberta. Wildlife management in British Columbia is pretty pitiful. We spend pennies where they spend dollars on scientific research population control and habitat.

thank you the BCWF Townhall presentation for teaching me that.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

BCs wildlife/hunter management is broken enough said

One thing that a lot of folks forget, is that it is a fresh run, every. single. year.

Doesn't matter that you didn't get a draw last year. Or the year before. Everyone has the same odds each year, as everyone else.

As to some people winning the same draws more than once, oh well. They had the same odds as you did. There are multiple cases in the US of people winning the Powerball Lottery more than once... How is that fair?!?!?! Millions of people have never won the Powerball! They should change the system!

Some people have been struck by lightning multiple times as well. Bet they wish somebody would change the system....

Point being, some people are just flat out lucky (or unlucky as the case may be). I know a guy who for years won pretty near everything that he ever put in a ticket for, be it fishing derbies, to scratch tickets, to office draws. Some people are just lucky.

Right now, the way the system is, everyone has the same chances every year to win a draw they want.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    One thing that a lot of folks forget, is that it is a fresh run, every. single. year.

Doesn't matter that you didn't get a draw last year. Or the year before. Everyone has the same odds each year, as everyone else.

As to some people winning the same draws more than once, oh well. They had the same odds as you did. There are multiple cases in the US of people winning the Powerball Lottery more than once... How is that fair?!?!?! Millions of people have never won the Powerball! They should change the system!

Some people have been struck by lightning multiple times as well. Bet they wish somebody would change the system....

Point being, some people are just flat out lucky (or unlucky as the case may be). I know a guy who for years won pretty near everything that he ever put in a ticket for, be it fishing derbies, to scratch tickets, to office draws. Some people are just lucky.

Right now, the way the system is, everyone has the same chances every year to win a draw they want.
    obviously with the exception of a few species where you get reduced odds after being drawn

People that get upset about the LEH System have:

A: Poor understanding of Stats
    B: Sandy Vaginas
    C: All of the above.

My group has been successful 5 out of 6 years for moose... but my odds are 1.5:1 so pretty good also a lot of work to get where we hunt and we know the area well. We do study the odds for where we would be willing to hunt if successful.
    Bison on the other hand ... 0 for 10 yrs and going

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    A young lady from Langley got a moose draw 3 years in a row. I've been waiting 6 years now for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post

The late Gary Troll of Horseshoe Bay's Troll's Fish and Chips won the lottery twice in not much more than a year; $25,000 and close to $14M...and I am yet to win much more than $10 or a free play. Granted his wins are kinda like a Kamloops Sheep Draw and a flat top draw....but he still managed 2 wins whilst MANY go without. As Amphib and Kodiak said....it's fresh odds every time just like if you play 649 or Lotto Max.

I am not upset about the system and do, in fact, understand it clearly. The computer model is a good one, designed to be fair and help manage B.C.'s wildlife. Whether it does that effectively, or not, is another topic. All I am saying, is that the system is apparently prone to glitches or errors. Computers are not infallible. It is certainly possible for some individuals to obtain moose draws in consecutive years even with the reduced odds component and yes some people seem to be more lucky than others. I have a buddy that has been successful twice for an Island elk. All I'm saying is that it is IMPOSSIBLE for one to be successful for the hunt in question with a second choice. The odds for this hunt were 12.5:1 last year. In 2014/15 they were 10.6:1, 2015/16 14.7:1 and 2016/17 15.3:1. To clarify, if there are 10 authorizations available for a particular moose hunt and their are 100 hunters applying as a first choice, then the odds are 10:1. So, when those 100 are entered into the computer, 10 will get authorizations and 90 will be rejected. THERE ARE NO AUTHORIZATIONS LEFT FOR SECOND CHOICE. The only time a second choice is possible is when the odds are LESS THAN 1:1. So, if someone gets a draw for the hunt in 5-02C as a second choice, then the computer made a mistake. Someone suggested the hunter, in question, must have read his paperwork wrong. That is possible and I have emailed the individual asking that he double check and confirm one way or the other.

I like c all of above option..

if the odds are 1 to 1....obviously people get leh tags yearly.
    but, I do wonder why some folks do get the draw yearly, with odds say 1 for 4? in the same MU.
    isn't there a way that if someone who does get the draw, can not apply for that for say 3 or 4 years...
    meaning...if there is only 1 tag, and 4 hunters applying, then maybe the person who won that draw one season has to
    sit out 4 seasons after that....(just saying)
    If it is 2 to 1 odds, then the lucky hunter has to sit out 2 years after that....???
    And if you get the 500 to 1.....your done!
    Just my thought on this....
    I do know some people who are just F'n lucky....
    My friends son has only hunted a couple years now, and got the prized pitt rvr elk tag (1 of 2).
    Life isn't fair, so why should the draw be....but I wonder if something more can be done to
    "spread around the wealth"....