Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

http://www.squamishchief.com/news/lo...ter-1.22814808

Not sure what to say... pretty bad optics for Sea to Sky hunters.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

i have a liver color gwp, if he was chest deep in water he would look like a moose. i allways have bandana on his neck or a hi vis vest on him out in the bush.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Well that's not good. Feel for the family of the dog. Terrible thing to happen.

It raises two good issues:

1) Hunters properly identifying targets

2) Dog owners taking the extra step to identify their dogs (and I am in no way blaming the owner here)

My dog looks like a coyote so she wears a red vest when we go on hikes. Just makes me feel better.

Shot at 20 feet? Was the dog acting aggressive? Hard time believing someone could not make a positive ID at spitting distance.
    Last edited by RiverOtter; 09-18-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added "not"

Oh wow.. that's really sad

Hmmm story doesn't make sense to me..20 feet?
    Steven

Unfortunate story. I would think the hunter mistook it for a young wolf. And wolf is open right now in 2-5 and 2-6.

Not to make excuses for the situation, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a dog off leash by itself out in bush or on crown land be construed as a wolf, especially if it is engaged in wolf like behavior? (ie: chasing deer) A domestic pig, once it's escaped it's confines and has stepped foot off of the "farm", is immediately considered feral.

When I lived on my families 650 acre property I came across a "dog" high up on the land. It was the ugliest mutt I have ever seen, dappled brown in color, but very large and extremely muscular in the front. Although the land is remote, there is a campsite nearby and people and horseback riders often go walking with their dogs in the area, so I thought it might belong to someone because it did not look like any typical wolf. It looked at me for a few seconds then shot uphill quickly. The next spring I found a dead wolf pup right on top of the mountain the same color as the "dog" I saw from before. My point is, some wolves look like dogs, and some dogs look like wolves.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Well let's all take a second and think about what a small town newspaper resources look like - thin to win at best. Most reporters are underpaid and pulled in many many directions, and let's face it - newspaper journalism isn't what it was even 10 years ago. So only one side was interviewed and the RCMP - not the hunter and not the CO.

My guess is new hunter, no mentor and made a very bad decision. The area he was hunting has very poor populations of any harvest able animal and is a very popular hiking area for locals and visitors. If he had walked across the highway and gained 1000m in elevation he would have been into BT country at the edge of the park.

Very sad news. As a dog owner I feel the pain of the owners ... I remember once I was hiking to sky pilot mountain with my dog and I encountered a hunter along the logging road glassing down the road. He had probably spotted us for a while ago since it was a switch back road and I was doing what I had to do Tobe seen and heard. Even though the area didn't have the gondola yet. The logging road was pretty much the only access to the trail head and I couldn't help not to be worried for my dog after that.

The only justification I can see for the hunter is that he got surprise by the dog and shot him thinking it was another predator.

Too bad that most of the news don't have a closing statement from the authorities and are left open to the imagination of the public. I hope this is not the case.
    Last edited by chele; 09-19-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Nothing will come of this .... If your walking your dog in a shooting area ... it better have high viz on it.

Terrible none the less
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA