Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Re: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

And now the gofundme campaign is up.

https://www.gofundme.com/kaoru

Trying to raise funding for multiple things including protection of wolves but their first goal is this:

"Goal 1: Protection of Life
    Extend the current No Hunting & No Shoot Zone from Squamish to Whistler.
    (currently from North Vancouver to the entrance of Squamish) This would extend a 400m protection of life zone on either side of the highway.
    - Make No Hunting signs and place them along the entire zone.
    - Create interpretive signs educating people on the wonderful nature and animal life that surrounds us and incorporate Squamish Nation teachings- They were the first protectors."

Hmm how about she is a anti through and through..with winning the gbear battle they needed some extra leverage on the wolf front..

So they staged a shooting on the old beast that was blind deaf and dump for more power against the antis..
    This was all master planned by raincoast to generate extra attention.

Well it's all over gobal news and ctv now as well. CTV said her main goal is to ban hunting throughout the area. Of course now death threats to all hunters have now begun. Apparently we should all be shot and stuffed via taxidermy. Lol. Ideally we will shoot ourselves too. Right. Get right on that.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    You may want to take a look on a map and see where the guy was hunting. About a 1/2 km off highway 99 between Squamish and Whistler where your biggest worry is not wolves but dodging mountain bikes and Chinese tourists. If he gets a twitchy a trigger finger while hunting there it's probably lucky that it wasn't a kid that he shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajeatoo View Post
    The newspaper article said it was shot "near Lucile Lake" and the owner said in her post she was in the bush walking up an embankment onto an old FSR. The entire area above Lucile Lake is full of FSR and cut blocks, this didn't happen at the lake but could have been anywhere above/around it which is a popular area for hunters.
    scott h isn't making the point that hunters don't use the area in question nor that they shouldn't. He is making the point that hunters choosing to use the particular area should be extra vigilant for precisely these circumstances. If you're hunting an area across from one of the most popular wilderness parks in the region, with the so-called title of "Canada's outdoor recreation capital" - your index finger should remain outside of the trigger guard until you're absolutely sure of your target. Self defense appears to be somewhat lame in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    Therapy dogs are noted for being exceedingly non aggressive. Evidence points to a stupid hunter.....
    Agreed! Therapy dogs are just that, around humans all the time and mostly children, the elderly and the sick!
    My money is on the inexperienced stupid hunter, mistakes happen but this hunter needs his eyes checked.

1. Definitely sorry that this dog was shot.
    2. I don't know anything about this event except for what I've read on here and heard on the news.
    3. My 100lb lab cross (black), always wears hi-viz when we're out there....
    4. I was tought, practice, and have passed on to my kids that one of the most important things in hunting/shooting is to properly identify your target.

When I first heard the owner talk about how tragic it was, and when she referred to the shooter as a "trophy hunter", I figured it was the (very understandable) emotional reaction of a true dog lover/owner (who doesn't hunt), and just witnessed her favorite dog shot and killed.

When I started to hear the details of the distance, some details, and more directly the youtube video and gofundme page (both well put together on very short notice).....I'm forced to think, sadly, that (as the saying goes) "there is something rotten in the state of Denmark"....

They're seeking a no hunting zone 400 metres either side of the highway between whistler and Squamish. Seems reasonable. What's 400 metres?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Story doesn't add up at all. Let me get this straight...

Dog is shot at point blank range by a "trophy hunter" she did not see and likewise the trophy hunter did not see her or several other dogs at "point blank range" (or 20ft depending on which news article.

Ok sounds iffy, but maybe that's exactly the way it went down. Coincidentally, she turns out to be a vocal anti hunter, extremely quick to launch a YouTube / gofundme campaign to ban hunting in Squamish, protect wildlife and "save the wolves".

Well holy crap. We seem to have a number of huge coincidences simultaneously occurring.

Again, it could have gone down exactly how she said, but I think at this point police need to consider all possible angles.

Are there anti hunters and wolf advocates crazy enough to put down a dog to further their agenda? Did the dog have any health issues? Can the bullet be recovered for any possible forensics? Any aquaintences in the area who own or have access to firearms?
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-19-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Crappy situation all around. My dog wears a hi vis vest in the woods, she's black and vaguely looks wolfy so I don't take any chances.

She is now posting the video on any comment she can on her facebook wall. This is agenda driven.