Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Re: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Very unfortunate for sure. I don't care if you are a hunter or non hunter, to see your dog get shot would be devastating. And I do feel for the hunter. Mistakes happen and sometimes they are costly.

I'm with Fozzie, too many idiots making ridiculous posts. In this case they are either just trying to stir the pot or they are in fact quite immature. In either case, the members need to be banned.
    Agreed ban them both!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie View Post
    Totally agree with you scotty30-06. It's the reason I hardly venture on here anymore. Too many idiots like IslandWanderer and J_06.
    x2 totally agree,,one of the reasons i hardly come visiting,,disgusting comments from these two asshats, they should be banned for comments like this, or at the very least, have a time out for their ignorance..IMHO!!

Quote Originally Posted by fudge View Post
    I have to say I don't post often on here or am I even on here very often. The main reason for this is comments like that. I personally find these people disgusting and I guarantee you they don't have the heart or guts to say that anywhere but behind a computer. Cowards
    You are exactly correct Cowards!
    I love this site and hunting and have had my share of ignorant comments directed at me but there are certain things that cross the line!!

Quote Originally Posted by brownmancheng View Post
    I don't know about this island wanderer character......

I do...
    its piss poor

sad for the dog owner. Very poor judgment call on the hunters behalf

I was referring to his alias in totality not in isolation... alot of his posts are divisive or seem to be loaded.... another mole?

Terrible turn of events for sure, but only having heard the dog owners side of the story and a non committal RCMP spokesman, I'm far from ready to lob the hunter under the bus.

20 feet, if accurate, is a pretty close distance if you are facing an "unmarked" aggressive dog. Not saying that's how it went down, but until I hear the hunters side of the story, I'm not ruling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by J_06 View Post
    This! The meat should be the top concern. Fruckin trophy hunters!
    I'm glad someone got something from my comment.

I have a great respect for dogs and it's a terrible situation. It's seen by us as sad because the dog had a connection with human beings- family pet. Is that how it gets its value? I think so, but anti hunters might argue that all animals have the same value. Food for thought.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

First off those comments were totally insensitive and ignorant!!

I have read the article and there is also a statement from the local CO not just the RCMP. I know this CO myself, he is a very fair guy. The 20' mentioned was given to the newspaper from the dog owner. She guessed it was about 20'. The dog was a canine therapy dog to make things worse. She was hiking with nine other dogs as well. Of course there is a small uproar: why are hunters in that area it's very popular hiking spot. People calling for his rifles to be taken away and banned from owning them etc etc. It's a bad situation all around. I feel for both sides of the story. I couldn't imagine seeing my dog get shot and killed in front of me.

There's lots of missing info in the story which would be nice to have. While I echo the recommendation for hi vis vest on dogs (I do it myself) I don't think we want to go too far down the road of saying it's the dog owner's responsibility to put a vest on the dog.

-It is the hunter's responsibility to know what he's shooting;
    -It is the hunter's responsibility to be extra vigilant in highly populated areas. Private property and non-hunting recreationalists need to be top of mind.

If it happened as reported its a sad story. I'd be livid if it was my dog and the guy who did the shooting would be fortunate to not have a firearms/rectum accident.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Like I said, I'd like more info before I cast "judgement".

The irony here, IMHO, is that hunters lobby for wildlife to be managed by science(fact) not EMOTION.
    Yet as soon as a dog loses its life, guess what rules the day.....

Just sayin'...

And to be crystal clear, I'm NOT taking the hunters side, I'm merely stating that forming a definitive judgment without his side of the story is foolish at best.