Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Re: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    yes, was misleading the way the media printed the story...the incident occurred on the east side of highway 99, MU 2-7
    Is this 100% confirmed ?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

yes, I emailed and requested clarification from the CO office
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

So there you go wolf hunting was illegal then which doesn't help out a hunters cause. Now he poached a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    So there you go wolf hunting was illegal then which doesn't help out a hunters cause. Now he poached a pet.
    Then let's call him a poacher, not a hunter.

No, he shot a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by chele View Post
    Then let's call him a poacher, not a hunter.
    IF he mistook the canine for a wolf, and shot it as such, then he was poaching, if he was in a closed area.

If he killed a dog, knowing it was a dog, in the company of a pack of dogs, then its a different story.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 09-22-2017 at 05:30 PM.

The problem being if it was on the west side Lucille lake wolf would be open and if he was on the east side wolf is closed. There are strong rumors which I think might be more than rumors noe that she was on private property and asked not to be there a couple times and the hunter did have permission to be there. But let's leave that out as well just cause.
    I have seen this posted on FB by a few people - but I brushed it off as more internet BS.

I'm still unable to wrap my head around this.

A dog is shot under very strange circumstances. Shooter is (apparently) "10 feet" away from dog, dog owner/walker, helper, and nine other dogs are also 10 feet away from the dog when it was shot. Ten feet?? I'm the worst shot out there, but damn, my tv is about ten feet away......
    This happens on the 18th. On the 19th, one day later, a youtube video is out about the dog and the event, a change.org petition is up, and a gofundme page is created by the owner of the dog. The gofundme page has four very well thought out "goals". One goal talks about an amendment to the hunting regs for a 400m "no hunting zone" on either side of Hwy 99, and also incorporatates "Squamish Nation teachings". Another goal refers to "10,000 hours" of training for the dog that was shot, when in fact a dog of her "caliber" can be trained in a year to 18 months (there are about 8700 [total] hours in a year fyi...). Goal #3 talks about the "new centre" that is "days away from announcing the opening" for the dog owner, and how there will be a trail established named after the deceased dog. The final goal speaks to the "protection" of wolves in BC, and how this incident "brought attention the plight of the wolf" to the dog owner, when in fact it is clear that she has a long history of being strongly against wolf hunting.
    Busy Monday night for this dog owner..................

A 400m "no-hunting zone" on either side of a hwy. Where/how did "400m" come up?????? Coincidence perhaps?

If my beloved pooch was shot and killed 10 feet in front of me, I'd be very choked up/pissed off and I wouldn't be coming up with all this in less than 24 hours. A couple of weeks or month later, maybe. In the words of the dog owner..."the amount of pain I feel should never be experienced by anyone, ever, for any reason".

See the Canine Valley (again, on the 19th....quite a detailed description of the incident) post included in this link...

http://people.com/pets/dog-shot-by-h...aken-for-wolf/

Again, I'm sorry this dog was killed, regardless of how it "happened"....but "somethin' ain't right"....

No changes are planned to the hunting boundaries in the Sea to Sky region. That is the message from the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development.
    A petition is circulating on social media that wants to see the hunting boundary moved further away from Highway 99 for hunting between Squamish and Whistler. The call comes after a local therapy dog was accidentally shot by a hunter on a trail near Lucille Lake recently. The petition claims that the dog was shot 200 yards from the highway.

From North Vancouver to Squamish 1 kilometre to the east and 400 metres to the west of Highway 99 is designated as a no shooting zone. There are also areas around communities, parks and some lakes that are set aside as no shooting. Shooting restrictions on all numbered highways mean 15 metres either side of the centre line on single lane roads are classified as no shooting areas, while 15 metres from the edge of the paved road on either side is the area on a twinned highway. Lucille Lake is near a twinned portion of Highway 99.
    Concerns of allowing hunting in the area have been raised by residents, given the proximity of Lucille Lake to the highway and the increase in recreational visitors to the overall region over recent years.
    The Province says that human safety is their top priority and that they act swiftly when a safety concern is identified; the Conservation Officer Service is currently investigating the dog incident. In a statement to Mountain FM the Province says that ‘In most cases, Crown land throughout the province is multi-purpose, and incidents involving hunting and firearms are extremely rare’. Officials also say that ‘hunters need to be aware of their target and what is beyond it, if there is any doubt, don’t shoot’.
    There are no signs alerting the public to hunting in the area, as is with most Crown land according to the Ministry; ‘Placing signs in areas of the province where hunting and other outdoor recreation occurs would be cost prohibitive’. Members of the public are advised to take safety precautions when walking on Crown land, such as keeping dogs on a leash or under control and making themselves visible and heard. It’s also recommended that dogs be outfitted with hi-vis or other markings to make them visible.
    This story originally appeared on Mountain FM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Members of the public are advised to take safety precautions when walking on Crown land, such as keeping dogs on a leash or under control and making themselves visible and heard. It’s also recommended that dogs be outfitted with hi-vis or other markings to make them visible.
    This story originally appeared on Mountain FM.
    Which would have likely prevented this issue to begin with.

Charges may be recommended against a hunter who shot and killed a Squamish therapy dog near Lake Lucille on Sept. 18.
    Valley Calderoni, founder of Canine Valley rehabilitation centre, was walking her dog, Kaoru, and nine other dogs from the centre, she said, when the dog was shot.
    There was speculation Kaoru may have been mistaken for a wolf when the Squamish man shot her, but Sgt. Simon Gravel of the Conservation Officer Service told The Chief hunting of wolves is prohibited in the area where the incident occurred.
    “The event occurred in the management area 2-7 and there is no wolf hunting in that specific area,” he said.

The 2-7 area is “fairly small” Gravel said, and has no open season on wolves, but it is surrounded by areas that are open.
    Across the highway from where Kaoru was shot, wolf hunting is allowed. “It is the responsibility of the hunters to know where they are and know if there is an opening for the specific species they are hunting for,” Gravel said.
    There is no signage that alerts hunters to boundaries, he confirmed.
    Gravel said the investigation is continuing and is “thorough.”
    Should it be deemed warranted, the Conservation Service would recommend charges to the Crown and if the charges are approved, the case moves forward.
    Everyone involved with the incident is co-operating fully, according to Gravel.
    The municipalities of Squamish and Whistler both have bylaws banning the discharge of firearms within their boundaries.
    Outside municipal boundaries, there is no restriction on the discharge of firearms.
    South of Squamish and north of West Vancouver there is a hunting closure that extends one kilometre east of Highway 99 and 400 metres west.
    North of the District of Squamish there is no general hunting restriction, other than that firearms can’t be discharged from the road itself.
    “You have to be 15 metres off the pavement if there is more than three lines and 15 metres off the centre line if there is less than three lines,” Gravel said.

**Please note this story has been corrected. The original story had the date of the incident as Sept. 28 rather than the correct date of Sept. 18.

@ Copyright 2017 Squamish Chief