Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Re: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

That's a very compelling video for the average Joe who doesn't hunt. It's got the angelic music the cute dog blah blah blah. It sucks that the dog got shot, I'm a dog lover. But I smell an opportunistic vulture like others have suggested as well.

I just read online that the area this happened was on the other side of highway 99 opposite of Lucille Lake. It was behind a gated FSR. I know allot of hunters that go in that area. The media keep perpetuating this happened at the lake which has everyone in an uproar as to why people are hunting in a common recreation site when in actual fact it was no where near the lake. Of course the story isn't as good with that fact in it...

Quote Originally Posted by ajeatoo View Post
    I just read online that the area this happened was on the other side of highway 99 opposite of Lucille Lake. It was behind a gated FSR. I know allot of hunters that go in that area. The media keep perpetuating this happened at the lake which has everyone in an uproar as to why people are hunting in a common recreation site when in actual fact it was no where near the lake. Of course the story isn't as good with that fact in it...
    the story just gets "curiouser and curiouser"

The problem being if it was on the west side Lucille lake wolf would be open and if he was on the east side wolf is closed. There are strong rumors which I think might be more than rumors noe that she was on private property and asked not to be there a couple times and the hunter did have permission to be there. But let's leave that out as well just cause.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    I think might be more than rumors noe that she was on private property and asked not to be there a couple times and the hunter did have permission to be there. But let's leave that out as well just cause.
    Where did you hear this? Story gets more interesting every day. You would figure the hunter or CO would mention this to the media.

Nothing has come out that I've seen from the hunters side so I'm not sure. All's I know is that it was a local Squamish person that's been here for a while (don't know who) and other long time locals know him and are saying that. Point being people are saying he illegally shot a wolf which would mean he didn't shoot it at Lucille lake, like the article says and on the other side of the highway. Either way it freaking sucks.

Think about it, a dark shaded Alaskan Malamute walks within out 300 yds of a hunter glassing a 2 year old cedar block... what happens next? This is becoming quite an issue, especially since the advent of wolves around the boundary and those who feel it is their responsibility to even the odds in the predator department (no judgement intended as even on this site their are mixed feelings on the subject of hunting wolves). I feel like putting signage out that warns the condo conglomerate and local dog walkers of hunting season commencing in the region. Of course it would have to be a very carefully worded sign stating "together we can achieve our choice of outdoor pursuit safely" blah blah.
    P.S. My old malamute "Bandit" (RIP) looked and sounded identical to a wolf, that's why I picked the breed for an example.
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

The problem being if it was on the west side Lucille lake wolf would be open and if he was on the east side wolf is closed. There are strong rumors which I think might be more than rumors noe that she was on private property and asked not to be there a couple times and the hunter did have permission to be there. But let's leave that out as well just cause.
    Yeah I've heard that too. I'm not sure where the private land is back there, I know there is a big hydro easement which some like to go for bears in.

I’m not sure what to make of the story. Perhaps it was just plain old innocence and bad timing, but…

All the history and actions that’s been brought forward about the dog owner presents a possible case of bad character on her part. Changing or colouring the story to raise funds on an internet platform with an ill informed audience, further illustrates this point. Taking the dogs off leash into crown land during hunting season is her right, but it’s not very bright, unless she has some twisted motives. She may simply just be unaware or ignorant; and while that too is justifiable, it’s lesson of experience.

Little is said or known about the hunter, but it would seem that his actions are also questionable.
    It’s said that the incident took place near Lake Lucile that’s MU 2-6(wolves open) or MU 2-7(wolves closed). According to CBC; Popjes comment indicates it was more likely in MU 2-7(The south east side of the hwy). CBC article -> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-dog-1.4297487

“Popjes wouldn't say whether the man had mistaken the dog for another animal, but said it is legal hunting season on Crown land for mule deer and black bears. Wolves are also in season in parts of the surrounding area, but not where the shooting took place, according to conservation officers.”

That being said it can be speculated that he wasn’t hunting wolves or he was and wasn’t clear about the regs; at best he may have defending himself or mistaken it for legal quarry. An investigation into his decision to shoot the animal is merited for sure. Worst case scenario he was a trigger happy dumb ass itching to put down an animal. That would be a damn shame, but that’s real the case in question that has everyone up in arms about it.

yes, was misleading the way the media printed the story...the incident occurred on the east side of highway 99, MU 2-7
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster