Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotta LOVE SASKATCHEWAN

guest Guest

Gotta LOVE SASKATCHEWAN

So with some hook up's through relatives and friends, we're taking in Saskatchewan on yet another Goose Hunt. With family and friends what could be better then pea and grain feed birds, early season uneducated birds, a good wind and the great weather. I tell what could be better, a limit of Dark geese first day out. No snows on this particular shoot as we targeted specs and Canada's. Way to fun! Lining up on a combo shoot of both Darks and snows hopefully tomorrow.
    Just want to say a big thanks to these great farmers near Battleford allowing us foreign BC fowler's to bang it up a little, haha. Already looking at next year. Sharing this experience with family and friends is fabulous, specially with our dad if 83 years.
    Can't say enough if the hospitality of Saskatchewan residents, in general. Truly down to earth folks.
    Thumbs up all round!
    CT

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gotta LOVE SASKATCHEWAN

I'll be there in November, hopefully there will be a few honkers left.

Lets see some pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

guest Guest

Up before 4. Coffee on, put several thousand snows and Darks to bed just before dark, hopefully they return to the same spot. Sometimes they completely change, should know in an hour and a half.......or so

Lets see some pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

guest Guest

No computer techy, will maybe get buddy to post when I'm not so tired and worn out from hunting Saskatchewan geese haha
    Great day not the snow show we were hoping for but some none of the less. Great day for Darks, Canada's and Specs, some Snow, a few Ross geese. Cute little buggers the size of mallards haha. 47 total, great share with family and friend. Pics another time Lorne sorry.....
    So if you're ever looking for a great Goose shoot, hook up on your relatives, there friends and some of the great folks from Saskatchewan. Line up some shoots, do all you need to do to make it happen.
    My third time it's well worth it
    Onto another dark goose shoot tomorrow, highly unlikely for white, maybe Thursday.
    Good night, 4 am is early.
    Last edited by guest; 09-19-2017 at 07:45 PM.

I have been going to southwest Sask on and off for the past 15 years and I am really going to miss it this year due to other commitments. I took a buddy last year and he could not believe the number of birds and the shooting opportunities. You have to see the fall migration in full swing to believe it. I am already thinking of my trip next fall and can't wait to get out there. And you are right that the people in Sask are pretty amazing. Have fun and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Lets see some pics
    Hey Lorne, pm me yer cell # and I'll forward you some of CT's pics if he's cool with that! I do know they're whacking and stacking, I'm very envious!! Next year for sure!!! K

guest Guest

Arrived safe and sound at home after a vigorous drive shared by the four of us traveling back from the Battleford area.

So to update .....

Wednesday mornings shoot, unreal! True we couldn't hook onto the the big Snow show as its a huge area and birds are spread out every where. Some fields you have permission on, others no, or no contact. That said, we committed to another Dark goose shoot, Canadas and Specs mostly. The odd white in the field but slim. Tuesday late evening we put the birds to bed and marked our approach for Wednesday mornings early arrival. We had cut more brush as we wanted to bush in the blind better then previously. Getting out there at 4:30 am, we started our set up, figured the expected wind and set numberous deeks to create a drop zone and landing area. As light came to, a low fog and frost rolled through, at times making it tough to even see the deeks set from thirty to sixty yards. Well the hard work paid off and before we knew it, our fun shoot with family and buddy was quickly coming to a close. We checked our numbers again and again. " OK Pops, we need one more, your closing it out for us" as yet again a huge flock of Canada's committed to the display, and on a last single shot from our Dad of 83 years finished our limits of Dark birds. A great way to finish! Way to go Dad!
    What a terrific experience and share with us all. Great appreciation falls to a couple relatives and friends, to local farmers of Saskatchewan to allow us access. We started at this months and months ago, making our own deeks, picking some up on deals and borrowing a number from some great folks, and to those others that offered more to me and us, we are very grateful to your kind gesture and offers. Thanks to you, and my offers to you still stand so don't hesitate to pm me on it.
    There are some great folks in our hunting community, here on HBC, others on Sask and Alberta hunting sights as well. Again thanks for being so kind to us with your magnificent shares, from deeks, to areas, to contacts and suggestions. Thumbs up to you all.

I hope to have a member post a few pics when able.

so again, if your dream is to do this, don't hold back, go for it! Do the hard work it takes, you can be guided, if you have deep pockets, or you can dig in and do this yourself ...... With the help of some very very good folks. To those that helped me, us, thanks again! You know who you are.

CT
    Last edited by guest; 09-22-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Right on CT. So very happy that you had a great trip.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.