Thread: November Bull Moose Tactics

November Bull Moose Tactics

G'day all,

First things first, I am not a moose expert. My grand experience has been limited to a calf I got three years ago on my last LEH win. A great experience, wonderful spoils, and priceless experience with family members I look up to immensely. However, not what one would call an extremely skill intensive hunt, more a matter of persistence and luck.
    http://imgur.com/l125Dpu
    This is year I have won another rare LEH draw, a bull moose tag for November 1-30 in region 3-19A. Due to my lack of LEH luck, I would consider myself to be mainly a mule deer hunter. Over the past few years I have been what I would consider to be rather successful in the area.
    http://imgur.com/Q0ujELK
    Research shows that the key to victory in this moose hunt will again be luck, but more skill and knowledge will come into play. I'm ready for the cold, hoping for snow, and all ears when it comes to November bull moose.

I'd love to hear some stories of November moose success, any tips, tricks, and tactics would be welcomed with gratitude.

Let's hear it folks, I want a story to post in the off season!

cheers all,
    Brad
    Last edited by pin_head; 09-18-2017 at 12:44 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: November Bull Moose Tactics

We've had region 3 November group draws a couple times now and have managed to fill them all. We prefer to hunt the last week of November as opposed to earlier in the month. It is a nice quiet time to be out in the woods as hunting pressure drops significantly by that time . I find that in early November the bulls are recovering from the rut and holed up in the thick timber not moving much if at all. Moose hunting in early November is a tough go. As the month progresses and winter tightens its grip the animals instincts kick in and they are constantly on the move in search of food to put weight back on for the long months of winter. It's not rare to see them out feeding mid day and also not rare to see multiple bulls traveling together. The downside of hunting later is that access can be a bit of a question mark as some spots will have a good bunch of snow down by then. Tire chains are a good idea. Our method of hunting was mainly to cover ground until we came up on good sign and then worked the area. Focus on spots with feed. Red willows, poplar stands, woody browse, meadows with willows surrounding etc. That's where the moose will be
    Last edited by ElliotMoose; 09-18-2017 at 11:59 AM.

I'm keeping my eye on this too as I'm doing it in Region 6, it ends on Oct 31 though. I'm guessing some of the same info would apply.
    Last edited by the_longwalker; 09-18-2017 at 12:08 PM.

We got our bull mid November last year in sub alpine timber. He was with a cow. Only sign we seen not in the timber was crossing somewhere to go back in the timber. From our experience go higher not lower but that might be due to wolf pressure in that area as well.

hmm nov moose...they are bedding inside tree canopy..fir pine..but not deep...usually a point so several escape routes, it will be a slightlky elevated bedding area they do not like bedding in wet and water..they will not be far from food..red willow..so look for green for bedding red for food the shortest track will be theres. 500 meters separation..they need to consume 40 pounds of food each day ....or about 2 wheel barrows full.
    temp inside bedding area will be noticeably warmer..no wind..bedded inside there is noise,trees do sway in the wind..but if they smell you with that nose the size of loaf of bread..its over..work into the wind.
    snow will show tracks..they will use the same short trail .
    its all about food.
    cheers
    srupp

Any answers from a cow call or if the bull won't come out, or following tracks. Soft cow grunts, some times a little moan thrown in, walk poking along not straight in. Don't worry about stick and branch breaking noises, plays right in with the periodic grunts. Walked right in on a couple even though braking through 6" hard crusted snow.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Srupp's got it right for micro-site selection, but Charlie horse nailed it above.... Go high! can't over emphasize that... Find bands of timber between high elevation meadows and the sub-alpine above and there you'll find your quarry. All the moose we've taken in region 3 November hunts are between 6600 and 6900 foot elevation. GO HIGH!!! Forget the swamps wetlands and low lying areas. And of course the requisite thoughts regarding proper clothes selection, access and safety...

have fun!
    TJ

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm definitely taking notes!

We have a new wood stove coming for the wall tent that we're beyond excited about, best stove out there they say. We will also have at our disposable a quad and a pickup equipped with chains and good tires.

Based on in the vast area, I think the plan will be to cover ground until we find a focal point to hammer on.

Any more ore tips are very welcome, I would love to post my success story after the hunt!

cheers,

Brad

Hmm boils down to one item..food..find the food you will find the moose.
    Srupp

If there is snow, cover ground until you find sign. Get yourself to a good vantage point and wait.
    Live to Hunt...