Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: End Moose Hunt

Re: End Moose Hunt

Hmmm kinda sounds like what's going on, on the fraser river

I wonder if the chief will ever have the kahunas to state what is the greatest contributor to the moose decline in reg 5 - FN cow harvest....

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I wonder if the chief will ever have the kahunas to state what is the greatest contributor to the moose decline in reg 5 - FN cow harvest....

Sorry bud, it's predators. hunters second.........

it is a power play ..plain and simple...remember how water restrictions came in on a year when they screwed up and lowered water levels for a repair then refilled the reservoir only to find out the repair had not been inspected properly so they took the level down again when the summer drought hit....they screwed up and were able to justify watering restrictions...a lot of money was saved so they started doing it routinely even though we have above average levels of water and snow pack...any ban will be the thin edge of the wedge...

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Sorry bud, it's predators. hunters second.........
    I'll second that!

No doubt bears are mostly responsible. I've been hunting in the 5 region west of Fraser since '67 & saw the bear(mostly black) population explode in the area from maybe 1 per hunting trip to over a dozen. And we all know they target the very young when it's most vulnerable. Many rigorous studies will attest to that.

As for wolves no doubt they are also a problem but to much lesser degree.
    Over the years we'd see a lone wolf here & there but a few years back a pack of wolves approached our camp at daybreak north of Gang. Saw some fresh tracks the day before & called them in(have a video somewhere)

Another time recently, 2 walked right through our camp during the middle of the night. Surprisingly our dog was quiet.
    Then there are the cats. I'm sure they'll kill a young given a chance.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    I'll second that!

No doubt bears are mostly responsible. I've been hunting in the 5 region west of Fraser since '67 & saw the bear(mostly black) population explode in the area from maybe 1 per hunting trip to over a dozen. And we all know they target the very young when it's most vulnerable. Many rigorous studies will attest to that.

As for wolves no doubt they are also a problem but to much lesser degree.
    Over the years we'd see a lone wolf here & there but a few years back a pack of wolves approached our camp at daybreak north of Gang. Saw some fresh tracks the day before & called them in(have a video somewhere)

Another time recently, 2 walked right through our camp during the middle of the night. Surprisingly our dog was quiet.
    Then there are the cats. I'm sure they'll kill a young given a chance.

I don't really know what is killing them more wolves or people. They just need to stop moose hunting for a while and promote wolf hunting more.
    I also don't care what color you skin is, where you grew up or how long you have been hunting where everyone should just stop for a few years.

Not sure about the bear population out west, seems about the same to me. I'm in the chilcotin a lot for work, hunting, fishing and don't really see more than I did years ago. East of the puddle mind you there is a crap load.

This is of course is just what I am seeing, I don't have any stats to back this up. I have been wrong ONCE before too, back in 2009 when I said my wings were winning the cup.

Bugle M In nailed it.............

Problem here is no accountability with F/N and as soon as anyone says anything .Out comes the Discrimination Card,The system needs more teeth in it and in order to have it managed correctly. Everyone in this all should be treated equal and be on the same page. Any chance they get they'll try and pass it off hoping we all are wearing our stupid hats.........

the FN unregulated harvest will be the death of all of our big game populations...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm 2423 moose hunting licenses in Cariboo..60 % allocated to FN. .=1,453.80 scraps left over to hunters, guides..pathetic.
    3% is fn...seems pretty fair..3% of populating is fn..they should get 3% of tags..minus 2 tags per every cow moose shot.

2423 tags..3%.....73 tags

Plus plenty shot on qt"
    Srupp

That's the first thing that ran through my mind as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Ya right, if he can actually control some of his members!!
    If he feels there is a problem, he doesn't have to go any further then to look at his own people to see why there is a problem.
    As said, stop shooting cows...and maybe start reporting their annual harvest for once.
    He should start there, before he goes any further.
    As we all know the FN hunting rights are protected under Section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982. But they are not absolute. In the name of conservation & safety the number, sex & age of animals harvested must and can be controlled. In the name of safety & fair chase the FN night hunting must be repealed & stopped for ever.

I always agreed that proper management of wildlife is next to useless without having access to numbers harvested by the FN. A guessing game is simply not good enough.
    Cow & calf(1/2 female) must be stopped by all until the numbers fully recover.

The govt should show some teeth & forget about the political correctness crap.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein