Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wood stoves and fire ban

Re: wood stoves and fire ban

I emailed BC Wildfire Service to ask specifically about wall tents. Will post reply here when I get it. Hopefully I'm wrong!

straight from BC wildfire ban.
    These prohibitions do not apply to cooking stoves that use gas, propane or briquettes, or to a portable campfire apparatus with a CSA or ULC rating that uses briquettes, liquid or gaseous fuel - so long as the height of the flame is less than 15 centimetres. The use of a campfire apparatus that does not meet these specifications is prohibited.

Here is the response from BC wildfire Services. They got back to me within minutes!

"Hi, I'm looking for information around wood stoves. Specifically, can a wood stove be used in a canvass outfitters tent under the current fire bans in the southeast fire center?

Thanks.

Travis."

"Hi Travis. No, wood stoves cannot be used inside of tents under the Southeast Fire Centre's current wildfire bans. The use of a woodstove is not considered open burning and is allowed *IF* the fire in the stove is vented through a structure that has a flue and is incorporated in a building. But a tent isn't considered a structure or a building."
    Last edited by Travalanche; 09-17-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Frame a wall on one side and run the pipe through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    Frame a wall on one side and run the pipe through it.
    You are still considered camping and as such your suggestion would result in a big ticket. These fire bans are in place for a reason and they will be lifted as the forest conditions warrant, have patience, please follow the fire bans while out hunting. last thing hunters need is to start a wildfire while out hunting!

And for those that have wood stoves in their RV/trailers, these are also banned as they are not considered to be "stuctures", they are considered vehicles.
    Last edited by btridge; 09-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Wonder if you could use briquettes in your wood stove instead of wood
    Son of a Birch,, Life time BC resident hunter.

So, those propane fire rings that are CSA etc approved are legal right now..??
    (sorry, didn't mean to get off topic from wood stoves).

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    So, those propane fire rings that are CSA etc approved are legal right now..??
    (sorry, didn't mean to get off topic from wood stoves).
    Yes those are legal.

I spoke with the Kamloops fire prevention officer a couple of months ago and he said no, no wood stoves in a tent. He said they don't consider a tent a structure. When I asked about charcoal and/or briquettes, he said yes, that would be fine.
    While camping, a fire warden came to our camp and checked out the wood stove and gave it a pass. We had two 5 gallon buckets of water on hand as well as a shovel. This made him happy. His one ask was that we acquire a steel bucket or pail for the hot embers.
    Our propane campfire got a pass as well.

What were you burning in there? wood?The charcoal thing got me confused.
    I have sent off an email of my own and am awaiting a response.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts