Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: wood stoves and fire ban

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Abby
    Posts
    1,756

    wood stoves and fire ban

    I didnt think of this until this morning, but I am guessing my wood stove in my wall tent is going to be an issue unless the fire ban is lifted.
    It has a spark arrester mesh; but I guess we are without a heat source this year?
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows
    Posts
    45

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    I talked to the fire warden just north of merritt 2 weeks ago, he came by the rec site looking for violators and he said a wood stove is not considered an open campfire and is legal. We didn't have our wood stove because i thought the same thing as you, but he said it would be fine. Im not saying its a good idea even with a spark arrestor but as far as i know, you won't get in sh*t.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    772

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    Quote Originally Posted by cpearen View Post
    I talked to the fire warden just north of merritt 2 weeks ago, he came by the rec site looking for violators and he said a wood stove is not considered an open campfire and is legal. We didn't have our wood stove because i thought the same thing as you, but he said it would be fine. Im not saying its a good idea even with a spark arrestor but as far as i know, you won't get in sh*t.
    Two years ago I was told by the the Kamloops fire district that a wood stove in my tent was considered to be an open fire even with a spark arrestor.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    281

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    From BC Wildfire Service

    "With shorter days and cooler nights, people are starting to ask: can I use a woodstove during a campfire ban or open burning ban? The use of a woodstove is not considered open burning and is allowed *IF* the fire in the stove is vented through a structure that has a flue and is incorporated in a building."


    I read that as a no, as it is not incorporated in a building.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    WK
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
    From BC Wildfire Service

    "With shorter days and cooler nights, people are starting to ask: can I use a woodstove during a campfire ban or open burning ban? The use of a woodstove is not considered open burning and is allowed *IF* the fire in the stove is vented through a structure that has a flue and is incorporated in a building."


    I read that as a no, as it is not incorporated in a building.
    I would read that as a yes as a wall tent should be considered as a building . Personally I wouldn't use mine at this time .

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    281

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    I would read that as a yes as a wall tent should be considered as a building . Personally I wouldn't use mine at this time .
    I'd use mine right now where I live If I could figure out how to say that my stove is vented through a "structure that has a flue" and justify my wall tent as being a "building"

    Unfortunately other parts of the southeast fire center still have some areas that are bone dry and burning. Hope they get some relief soon!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    WK
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    A "flue" is a stove pipe by definition and a wall tent is a structure ..... I don't see the conflict .

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows
    Posts
    45

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    A "flue" is a stove pipe by definition and a wall tent is a structure ..... I don't see the conflict .

    agreed !!!!!!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    281

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    If your wall tent was by definition a "building" then you wouldn't be aloud to "build" it on crown land.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    281

    Re: wood stoves and fire ban

    I do kind of agree with you, but I think it would be a tough sell and you'd probably come out of it with a fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •