Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing out a black bear.

Packing out a black bear.

Hey all I'm having trouble finding where in the regs it's talks about what you need to leave on a black bear After you shoot it ( proof of sex or hair). Could someone help me out with a quote or a page number?
    thank you
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Packing out a black bear.

Proof of sex isn't required because the bear just has to be alone ie; not in the accompaniment of any cubs. Fur wise I just leave a paw on.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

there wouldn't be any proof of sex required because you can shoot male or female and there is no inspection required. I can't find anything about it either and I'm guessing that is why. Only requirement would be that you take the edible portions of the meat out with you no?

dont take the gall bladder with u

Have a look at page 20 of the synopsis. I thought evidence of sex is not required for a bear either. But the synopsis does not clearly state this anywhere. The notes on page 20 suggest that evidence of sex is in fact required on a bear. Or is this note intended as direction on disposal of the genitalia if you do decide to leave evidence of sex? Like any interpretation of an unclear rule in the synopsis, best to fwd your questions to the CO service and not bank on fellow hunters interpretations as gospel.

Removing Evidence of Sex & Species
    Evidence of species and sex may be removed
    from the carcass or the hide of game:
    4after it arrives at a person’s normal
    dwelling place and is butchered and stored
    there for consumption on the premises,
    4after it is taken to a meat cutter or the
    owner or operator of a cold storage plant, or
    4after it has been inspected by a qualified
    Compulsory Inspector.
    NOTE
    : It is not an offence to possess bear
    genitalia attached to the hide or carcass, and,
    after it is no longer needed on a bear carcass
    as evidence of sex, the genitalia may be
    removed from the hide at the above locations
    if immediately destroyed and disposed
    of at that location. Leaving evidence of
    species and sex on the carcass will not spoil
    or in any way contaminate the meat.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-17-2017 at 08:06 AM.

I'll just stay on the safe side and do the same thing I do with deer. Leave one quarter with hide and evidence of sex, then debone the rest and keep the head.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

I was stopped by a CO with a bear. He wasn't worried about sex at all, and identified it as a bear before it was even out of the game bags, but keeping all or part of the hide for identification was a recommendation from him.

We also chatted about a few confusing things in the regs. Good guy and he clarified a few things (keep ungulate sex attached to a quarter if head with antlers has been detached sort of thing).
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Have to ask, (yes, bought a bear tag this season...2nd year for that), about the hide....
    If you skin the bear, but need to leave a small section of hide on each quarter ( I usually have to pack out, so I
    usually debone), how can you leave a small portion of hide on. and yet make a "rug" from it, without the thing
    looking all distorted around the legs (which is where I usually leave hair from in regards to packing out elk)?
    Chances are, I am not going to be able to just gut the bear, and lift it into the back of the trailer.
    Highly probable that I will need to quarter/debone, as I hunt vehicle restricted areas.
    I do know to leave the organs like "gall bladder" behind...big no no!
    Any thought or past experience suggestions appreciated.

We have never kept evidence of sex or hide from black bears. Just a bunch of slabs of meat in game bags. I'm sloppy enough there is still some hair on all of the 50+ cuts of meat though

If I'm rugging it, which I always do, I don't worry about hair on a quarter, as the hide is coming out with me.