Thread: Blacktail deer hunting

Blacktail deer hunting

Living in Chilliwack, I love hunting in my own backyard and going after black tails. But am curious, alpines or thick timber? I've had success in both, but usually prefer to hunt in the alpine. Although lately have been wondering if sticking to the heavy timbers would provide better results. What has everyone else found with regards to blacktail? Thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktail deer hunting

I think unlike most deer they are all over the moutain...high low....thick timber and open cuts.....I think with blacktails its about k owing tge spot instead of k owing species

I don't know much about BT on the mainland yet but back on the island, generally for non town deer, most of the bucks seemed to be up high for most of the year and most of the does were at lower elevations. But I've seen nice bucks in the summer right at the river bottom and does with fawns up in the nose bleed so there sure aren't hard fast rules. I had a few almost chances on some beauties and it was by knowing where does were and finding sign of bucks coming down and back up regularly during the rut.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

They are where ya find em.

Another island hunter here.I remember reading a study on island blacktails years ago.Most of them spend their whole life in a very small area. A certain part of the population spend time in the alpine and come down lower in the winter.You see pics of big island bucks taken in the old growth timber up high as well as at sea level. I get all my deer in the second growth and alder bottoms.

It depends on if you want to hunt in the alpine or in the lower level. There are deer in both places at all times of the year

I realize that blacktail occupy both heavy timber as well as alpines. I was more wanting to hear other people's preferred methods on hunting blacktail, and where they find their most consistent results. We always read about heavy timbers, mossy, wet, and nasty for blacktails. But alpines usually aren't mentioned, just wanting to know other people's experiences.

The real trick to consistently taking region 2 black tail is hunt where others don't. You are hunting deer in an area close to a large portion of BCs population. Many places are under pressure by hunting and general traffic they become cryptic because of it

Look for the places others don't go. Find the deer in these areas you will find higher buck vs doe ratio, more deer, more daylight movement, the deer are way less skiddish

There is a ton of public land places that seen no pressure from people in region 2

Think SMALL