Thread: How Has the Weather Been in the Cariboo?

How Has the Weather Been in the Cariboo?

Hello,
    Looking to hear how the weather has been up there in the Cariboo the last week. There was a fairly good soak of rain around Sheridan Lake, but I haven't heard about further north. It seems most of the fires are at bay in Kamloops and the Cariboo, but we sure could use more rain everywhere in the Province, especially the Kootenays! I spoke with someone in the forestry office in Williams Lake about some road access questions and she seemed to indicate the ORV ban could be lifted any time now. Not sure if she was just trying to give me hope or if that is actually the case, but it would be good to hear some first hand reports. Hope you are all safe out there!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How Has the Weather Been in the Cariboo?

Well the info we heard on the 9th was it would remain closed till Oct 31st, or we get 100 mm of rain. We have 25mm of rain so far.
    If they open it some old timers would be peeved it wasn't sooner. Heavy frost and -5c the last few mornings.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Yep. It's a tricky situation to navigate for the forestry folks. No matter how they proceed from here people on every side will be upset. If it's safe, though, they should open it. I asked if there was a timeline and I was told they review daily and my area woukd already be open but they find it tricky to open only parts of the region which I understand. Here's to hoping for lots of rain.

Hmm cold mornings, rain 3 pectin Sunday.from fire information officer. .atv lifting soon..from another agency soon..in context I am saying in next week..9 days.
    We are taking quads along for hunting sept 28..Oct 15
    Good luck
    Steven

If my hunt was starting Oct 1, I would take my atv along. The people who have phoned are saying the response was it would open any day now.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

They need to wait until the entire region is wet enough to eliminate the risk of orv use. It has rained consistently up where i have my LEH in region 3... however kamloops area is still too dry.

I doubt there will be many co's where i am going so will be bringing the quad Oct 1st... will decide whether to use it or not based upon local conditions... hopefully the ban is lifted before then...
    Last edited by elch jager; 09-17-2017 at 08:54 AM.

By Oct 1 I think ATV's will be fine.

My wife's draw is September. I will be playing it by ear until Friday.