Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 year old daughter gets her first buck.....

10 year old daughter gets her first buck.....

I guess I can say the hunt started this past summer with setting up trail cams all on public land. The particular spot is close to home and I've harvested a couple of white tails with my bow in there. Every Sunday we'd go check cams and look at what deer were in the area. Also since she turned 10 she got her rifle for Xmas and practiced with it all summer. About a week before the season opener on sept 1st we set up a ground blind and awaited opening day. On the first day we sat for 4 hours in the morning and four hours in the evening with the deer being a no show. She was still in good spirits though lol. Then we got hot weather (30-35C) and deer movement went dead. So for the next week and a half we were kinda alternating between sitting in the blind after school/work and going for drives in the truck to see what was moving around and do a bit of grouse hunting. Then finally Friday night sept8th we got a bit of rain and temps got a bit cooler. Saturday morning we went for a drive to see if we could possibly find her a mule deer buck to harvest. Low and behold we found one but before she could get up for a shot away he bounced. She was starting to give up hope lolol. That same night we went for a sit in the blind an about an hour in 3 does finally showed up. She was pretty excited at being only 5-10yards from a deer. Then just before shooting light was gone I spotted a buck coming in, but he knew something wasn't right like they always seem to know. He disappeared over the hill not giving her a good shot. She was pretty upset we were so close and it didn't work out. Sunday (sept 10th) morning we were back in the blind but no deer showed up and Sunday evening was the same. Monday after school she didn't really want to go out after 10 straight days of hunting so she settled on going for a drive to shoot some grouse. Tuesday she went to school and when I got off work up to the blind we went. It was a beautiful evening and she said on the walk in that tonight she was gonna kill her deer since it was the 12th and that's her lucky number (after her favourite hockey player Jarome Iginla). We sat for about 2 hours with nothing showing up and she was reading her Harry Potter book when I spotted the little buck coming in. I took her book and told her to get ready. He kept coming on the trail I figured he would but didn't give her a clear shot...... then he disappeared over the hill like the buck a couple days earlier I told her to stay behind the gun and wait since it was still early and sure enough I see him pop his head back up over the hill and look right at us. Then he disappeared again and came up to our right trying to get down wins I knew I had to do something to make this happen. Since she uses a "deadshot field pod" I moved it and her gun pointing out the mesh side window of the blind. The deer was now at about 30-40yards facing us looking at the blind. I whispered if you can see him hammer him in the chest "boom" I watch the deer face plant then stumble/roll/run about 40 feet and fall over 50feet from the blind. She jumps up half crying and laughing I did it I shot a deer the most excited I've probably ever seen her. She then says these are tears of happiness ( I'm trying to hold back my tears at this moment lololol) proudest moment in my hunting life a million times better than any of the many animals I've harvested myself. Within 30 seconds of the shot I unzip the blind and say let's go get him she says really shouldn't we wait for a bit ( after knowing I wait for awhile after arrowing deer) but I knew the deer was down and dead within a few seconds. So we walk up to it she's just vibrating with excitement poke it to make sure it's dead and start hooting and hollering. Before I can even get any pictures she grabs my phone and said I have to call grandpa I promised him he'd be the first to know. After a giddy phone call I get some photos while we wait the 15 min it takes grandpa to show up then more photos lol. We then field dress the buck only to find she couldn't have hit the deer anymore perfectly. Slipped the .243 bullet under the shoulder taking out a lung and the top half of its heart and the bullet came to rest under the hide on the off side. Then make the quick drive home where her 3 uncles and grandma show up to congratulate her while we skinned it out. Absolutely awesome night.

cant figure out how to post a picture maybe someone can help me out

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 10 year old daughter gets her first buck.....

Awesome read. Congratulations on a successful hunt and great memories

Congrats to you and your daughter
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Nice story. Good family times.

Great memories...good job being persistent and keeping her interested.

Congratulations; great to carry on the hunting tradition

That's awesome! Way to go kiddo!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Too cool, thanks for sharing.

You sir are the luckiest man on earth !! Congrats to your daughter!!

Congrats!

Use the directions in my signature to post pics