Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck bed

Re: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck

Re: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck

Awnings have a tough life with the wind and sun. A tarp can be threaded into the aluminum molding that used on simpler awnings. I've seen that done. But from experience, ropes with bungees last through windstorms we get in the fall.

For a wood stove you want a good sized one that is really really airtight. That way your fire will smolder all night. Low output, long burn. Or feed your partner with enough beer so he's getting up every hour. I was impressed with what a young couple did, they had converted a car hauler. They used a small diesel heater.

For people thinking of converting a car hauler make sure that the shackles for the springs are heavy duty for the wash board etc the trailer will travel over on fsr. These trailers are not built for abuse. There built for show cars etc. on paved roads. When I had the Lodge built I went to 1 foot centres instead of 2 foot. Heaven duty springs and it’s been fine for the 8 years I’ve had it.

i have all the stuff . Just got back from a deer hunt tent tarp& fire loved it and no ATV but am getting a wall tent and hunt when a cooler trailer is not needed

Quote Originally Posted by tailgate77 View Post
    I am looking at building a cargo trailer conversion with some fold up bunks and a tiny woodstove for heat. The trailer will be just for sleeping and storing things. Pretty excited about having the stove in there to dry it out!
    What do you guys do for the chimney through the wall or ceiling of the trailer? I could see it working well the trailer is parked and in use, but what about during travel? Is the damper in the flu enough to keep soot and ashes from blowing back into the trailer? Or do you disassemble it before moving? What about the top part of the chimney that would stick out of the trailer?

Thinking of doing the same thing myself, but also thought that a custom 8 x 8 wall tent of sorts out the back of the trailer with a woodstove might be the ticket as well…

My buddies both merely pushed it through the side when they set up .One through the front ,the other out the side.

Stoves

Stove pipe is used with the crimped end down. Even then some creosote will leak. I don't know how but it seems to. I would put a half length sideways then a couple of lengths up. In some wind storms you are going to need that much to draw, instead of blowing back in. One year I had to go to town to get more stove pipe. I always use a cap too. Yes by all means get a damper. It slows the draft, meaning you don't have to get to feed the fire as often. Or get cooked out as much.

With a stovepipe up and out and than up. To solve the creosote coming down the pipe and dripping at the joint the pipe going out should be at an angle that drops down a half a bubble on a level. Than on the outside before the joint to go up drill small holes in the bottom of the pipe so the creosote pools and drips on the out side. Doesn’t effect your draft. Important because that dripping creosote overnight will kill you.

They make small wood stove style units that are propane. Nuway is the company name I believe and they aren't expensive either. No creosote, no wood collecting/s0litting and no getting up in the middle of the night to add wood.

You are at the same place as a camper furnace . Any propane heater needs an exterior air intake vent when used in a confines of trailer. Wood stoves for that matter too, but more for draw. Propane camper furnaces don't kick out enough heat for serious clothe drying. I think it's wash when you realize have to go to town for more propane compared to bucking/splitting wood. I've done both.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    What do you guys do for the chimney through the wall or ceiling of the trailer? I could see it working well the trailer is parked and in use, but what about during travel? Is the damper in the flu enough to keep soot and ashes from blowing back into the trailer? Or do you disassemble it before moving? What about the top part of the chimney that would stick out of the trailer?

Thinking of doing the same thing myself, but also thought that a custom 8 x 8 wall tent of sorts out the back of the trailer with a woodstove might be the ticket as well…
    What i did for the wood stove install was to buy a length of double wall interior stove pipe, put it through the hole in the roof that I cut out, as close to the diameter of the pipe as possible. I mounted the pipe using aluminum 2" flat bar that is bent to form two suspending brackets and two horizontal 'stay' brackets. The pipe is now a ridged piece, now with a 18" hippy killer and a short single wall stove pipe join to the ridged pipe. I have a pad under the stove for sparks and a shield made from that Chinese made stainless steel (cost 78 $ to have it cut and bent) to put on the walls on two sides of the stove with a 1.5" space between it and the wall. I used high temperature silicone to seal the pipe as it goes through the roof. The outlet has a modified (with a zip-cut) T fitting pointing in the direction of travel.

In 3 seasons it has not leaked or fallen apart as it sees a lot of pounding on gravel roads as I put my quad in there as well.

Only change I'd make is going to a larger 'killer' for more retention time.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @