Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck bed

Re: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck

Here's what my son and I use. We love it.

I built the camper, Trailerman trailers built the frame. Uses my old Jeep tires.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OgQLbefgsoCT8dUg1
    Last edited by Lugg; 09-29-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Re: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck

if you find a cot uncomfortable try putting a memory foam on it...my cot with memory foam is very comfy and I am a side sleeper...love wall tents with a wood stove for wet weather

That's pretty awesome! You sleep two people in it?

I started out with an old "caveman" camper. I rebuilt the sides and such with new wood. I replaced the roof vent. stove, furnace and fridge works. Although to be honest when we did get a little cool, I fired up the stove for a less than 5 minutes and it was nice and toasty.
    Now I have a converted large utility trailer that has room to sleep a couple in one bed and a single (bunk bed style) above. I use a portable stove and I have a fold down table that is attached to the wall for the camp stove to go on. I use a propane "tree" to run the stove and portable heater off of one tank at a time.
    Now the camper just sits in my driveway. It just needs a wash, a couple of running lights (which I have but I've been to lazy/busy to do) to be replaced and the sinks need to have a down pipe added. I'm not bothering with a storage tank, I just run a hose attachment out a port in the side.
    The only reason to be honest that I switched is that it's 8 ft long and my new truck is 6.5, I don't like having my tailgate down with anything sitting on it.
    Due to it being an older model, it's only at a guess about 700 - 800 pounds so my 2003 half ton Dodge (only a 4.7 at that) that I had at the time carried without any stress.
    MDRGC
    BCWF
    NFA

There is no good answer.

The best answer I've found is a wall tent with a good wood stove. I made do with a 22" tin airtight. You start the night just right, then it gets too hot, and finally you get up to a cold tent. But it sure dries wet clothes and boots. The sweating up of your sleeping bag overnight , remember the too hot fire, means that you would like a fire to dry it out during the day, but that's not such a good idea. So you go to bed in a damp sleeping bag after the first night. I used EMT poles and made connectors. It took two men to put up and take down. A fair bit of trailer space was taken up by the kit. Basically a hunt was a two truck pack. It was accepted as pretty nice set up, though.

I have used a nylon tent that I used when canoe camping. It went by the nick name, The Ice Palace. I've slept comfortably at 40 below, a cot with a 4" camping foam, a blue foam pad and double mummy bags. If it got up to 20 below I was too hot. So you can survive.

Being an old phart, the putting up and down of the wall tent by myself got to be a bit much, so I bought a 18 year old camper in real nice shape and rebuilt it. Stick and tins are easy. After two years, ALL RVs need resealing, and probably replacing the rot. Beware of the $1000 camper , it may fall down on your truck when it hits gravel. Last long weekend we went camping/hunting with two other couples. It was cool, frost on the quad. One in a toy hauler and the other in travel trailer were both cool at night. Their furnaces were the same size as the one in my camper. Furnaces now have fans. One night, one battery. So you do need a genny to recharge the battery. I have dried my hunting clothes in the camper, but they are a sort of a Gore-Tex . I have used the camper in real cold. No water, genny running all night with a electric heater.

My canopy with a propane cat heater was a tough night. You have to leave a window open so you get enough oxygen. The plywood with a 4" foam were no where as plush as a cot with a 4" foam.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 10-16-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: emplise

Budget?
    There are smaller and lighter options to wall tents.
    Look into Arctic Ovens. Decent sized bomber tents with wood stoves.
    Definitely an investment. But it will not collapse or fail you, and as long as you can gather wood you and your gear will be dry.

I have a 10 ft camper, a 20 ft enclosed trailer and a 26 ft portable garage from Costco that I use as a wall tent along with a surplus US Army diesel heater. Which one I use really depends on the mission. The enclosed trailer offers the most flexibility because I run the Rhino or motorcycles inside for the trip then unload them for extra room at camp.

2-3 is comfortable in the camper, 6 is comfortable on cots in the trailer, we've had 8 in the wall tent but it could handle 10.

The Costco tent is, by far, the most economical of the three. Setup takes about an hour and you can put it away wet. We never bothered staking it out properly because it felt pretty bulletproof for the first 14 nights but on our last night there were 40-50mph winds and sideways rain that were just too much for it. I think it would have been fine if it was properly staked.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    Here's what my son and I use. We love it.

I built the camper, Trailerman trailers built the frame. Uses my old Jeep tires.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OgQLbefgsoCT8dUg1
    Nice Job need more pics Please ! RJ

I am looking at building a cargo trailer conversion with some fold up bunks and a tiny woodstove for heat. The trailer will be just for sleeping and storing things. Pretty excited about having the stove in there to dry it out!
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."

We are currently converting a cargo trailer So far have installed 3 windows and an rv latch on the door 1" insulation in the walls and cieling. We bought those disco beds,pretty much stacking cots and they worked great
    we recently went on a hunt and the cots were a must have but it was cold, -7 in the early morning we used a little buddy heater for heat but I didn't feel safe sleeping with it on. My Next step is a small wood stove,We're thinking about the little cub stoves that you can mount on the wall
    thats it for me so far Oh ya currently looking for an awning but they are hard to find used and a new one 18' is like $1800