Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck bed

Re: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Plywood with a foamie is more comfortable than a cot imo
    Shelter can be anything , comfort is subjective
    We started out using tarps only, for a few years, the restriction was the ability to get things dry after a storm, but a few hours of sunlight took care of that. and we killed shite
    Then the size and weather-proof-ness improved as well as the addition of wood heat, but it was still a home-made contraption . and we killed shite
    Cheap, repairable, disposable, replaceable , The Moose Shack took us through conditions and events that would destroy a relatively expensive wall tent
    Don't get hung up on the 'best'
    This. There's a lot to be said for simplicity and if you have layers of clothing and a decent sleeping bag and forgo heated sleeping area it gets real simple. This fall I slept under my 6.5 ft box canopy and my buddy in a little 6x8 utility trailer which I put up a small A frame tarp structure off of it so there's like a 10x12 ft area of ground covered that's dry plus the trailer and canopy of course. Cheap CT folding table and a coleman, two or three LED battery lamps, done. You'd think by 57 years of age I'd have a heated trailer or something

Dress for it. I've slept out on real cold temps, beyond -40 since I was a kid just sleep in some clothes, and most importantly wear a toque. Couple weeks ago it was freezing every night but in light long underwear shirt and bottoms, good socks, stanfield wool shirt and a toque in my pretty basic 30 yo sleeping bag good for -10 or such I'm comfy and sleep good. You need insulation underneath - cot and good pad add a foamy if its real cold. Can't fit my cot in my truck pizz me off so I just have a plywood 2 1/2 ft I think 'bed' by 6 feet a foot off the deck with legs, 2 inch closed cell foamy plus a decent sleeping pad.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Re: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck

Forgot to say I've got an old 8x12 4 foot walls wall tent too. I;ve thought about getting a stove for it but haven't got there. Always though I have a big ass fire just outside of a covered area so its not all gloomy and shitty especially if its raining lots.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Maiden voyage with 6x12 enclosed trailer with diesel heater and was "very" comfortable. Took a few hours to heat up and once warm could dry out wet clothes and boots. Left heater on so when came back to camp had nice warm place. Hate to say it but no way am I going back to a tent. Burned 4-5ltrs per day of fuel.

Looking at getting a cargo trailer converted an campererised are they a good suit for logging roads and today's propane heaters are they doable for trying out clothes or a toy hauler be okay on these logging roads there's a lot of room in them but are the furnace is strong enough and are they durable for the logging roads

I've slept in tents, campers, etc. Recently bought a trailer for work. Fixed it up and also added a few beds and wood stove. It's 16 feet so it can fit both our ATV's and a shelf in the front for stove, cooler, etc. The beds are only attached to the walls with a few screws (when they're down, all the weight is on the bed sides supported by the small walls (2by4 and 2by2 on either side). They were constructed this way so the beds can be moved forward or backward very easily. Also the 2by4 wall allows you to fold it up with the foam, sleeping bag, and pillow. I didn't want to store the foam, sleeping bag, etc. separately. Remove the quads, drop the beds, and go to sleep. With one quad, the stove can stay in place. With two quads, the stove is removed with the pipe and moved to the side. I used it for the first time as a test run this weekend. It rained for three days straight and I didn't care at all. I had chairs in the front by the stove, hung wet clothes that dried quickly by the fire, had lots of room, and even attached both beds to have one huge king size bed.

I'm trying to figure out how to post a few pictures...
    Last edited by fishhunt; 11-20-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunt View Post
    I've slept in tents, campers, etc. Recently bought a trailer for work. Fixed it up and also added a few beds and wood stove. It's 16 feet so it can fit both our ATV's and a shelf in the front for stove, cooler, etc. The beds are only attached to the walls with a few screws (when they're down, all the weight is on the bed sides supported by the small walls (2by4 and 2by2 on either side). They were constructed this way so the beds can be moved forward or backward very easily. Also the 2by4 wall allows you to fold it up with the foam, sleeping bag, and pillow. I didn't want to store the foam, sleeping bag, etc. separately. Remove the quads, drop the beds, and go to sleep. With one quad, the stove can stay in place. With two quads, the stove is removed with the pipe and moved to the side. I used it for the first time as a test run this weekend. It rained for three days straight and I didn't care at all. I had chairs in the front by the stove, hung wet clothes that dried quickly by the fire, had lots of room, and even attached both beds to have one huge king size bed.

I'm trying to figure out how to post a few pictures...
    Would really like to see pics

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c beds.jpg  

Are you handy at all? Could build a camper fairly easy. You can find plans for them online.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cc stove.jpg