Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck bed

Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck bed

Under a canopy or keep tenting it.

I have no room on my property to store anything, but could slip something small-ish into the garage.

What would you go for?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck

Wall tent is a good option

Re: Buy a cargo trailer and convert it, find a lightweight camper, sleep in the truck

A tent with a cot,great sleeping pad,good sleeping bag.

Plywood with a foamie is more comfortable than a cot imo
    Shelter can be anything , comfort is subjective
    We started out using tarps only, for a few years, the restriction was the ability to get things dry after a storm, but a few hours of sunlight took care of that. and we killed shite
    Then the size and weather-proof-ness improved as well as the addition of wood heat, but it was still a home-made contraption . and we killed shite
    Cheap, repairable, disposable, replaceable , The Moose Shack took us through conditions and events that would destroy a relatively expensive wall tent
    Don't get hung up on the 'best'
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I just finished mine!! I'll post some pics after my hunt. I cheated and ordered cots tho

Probably depends on your hardiness, destinations, hunting methods, and a bunch of other stuff.

Sleeping in the truck-are you going to be hunting from the truck? What weather are you in? Heating a canopy sucks. A camper is nice because you can pull it off the truck, then hunt from the truck. Trailer sounds best, until you're at the end of the wrong road, it's muddy, it's snowy, it's dark, and you have to turn around.
    Sleeping in the back of the truck after it's had a quartered out elk in it sucks too.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Plywood with a foamie is more comfortable than a cot imo
    Shelter can be anything , comfort is subjective
    We started out using tarps only, for a few years, the restriction was the ability to get things dry after a storm, but a few hours of sunlight took care of that. and we killed shite
    Then the size and weather-proof-ness improved as well as the addition of wood heat, but it was still a home-made contraption . and we killed shite
    Cheap, repairable, disposable, replaceable , The Moose Shack took us through conditions and events that would destroy a relatively expensive wall tent
    Don't get hung up on the 'best'
    I got a wall tent 8 years ago , use it even year , dry it put it away in the bags .... still looks like new and we use it it in Nov when it's always below 0 . I got a cot with it , all the other guys used air beds or foam the first year .... now they have all converted to cots ....
    We usually have one guy ghats joins use with a trailer ... but we all end up sleeping in the tent because of the wood stove and room .

Thanks all.

I'm still pretty new to hunting, so I've only hunted in a few places. Stayed in my buddies trailer a couple times, slept in the truck a few times...

I have to admit that I really like the idea of a camper. But I have a half ton with a 6.5' bed, so finding something that that fits the weight limit is tough.

check out "four wheel campers" hard to find, I had one. highly recommend. the only mod to my 1/2t was I added timbrens, loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlydick View Post
    check out "four wheel campers" hard to find, I had one. highly recommend. the only mod to my 1/2t was I added timbrens, loved them.
    Huh, they even sell a "shell" model with no frills. Nice tip!