Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on living in PG

Re: Thoughts on living in PG

good ol Nukko laker?? Like everyone has said...if you aren't a city person and your idea of a good time is having a fire drinking a 8 pack of Lucky then PG is the place for you. Moved up 3 years ago from the rat race and never ever would go back. Some times I click on global news and see the traffic from the helicopter and chuckle as I look at my horses grazing in my pasture.

You had me at Lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Charts View Post
    good ol Nukko laker?? Like everyone has said...if you aren't a city person and your idea of a good time is having a fire drinking a 8 pack of Lucky then PG is the place for you. Moved up 3 years ago from the rat race and never ever would go back. Some times I click on global news and see the traffic from the helicopter and chuckle as I look at my horses grazing in my pasture.

Lived here 10 years now.We are south of town on 5 acres and only 15 minutes from town.Best of both worlds.The Hart Highlands is cheaper with a little longer Winter.West is nice but more expensive.I was born and raised in North Vancouver but My Family and I really enjoy living here.Trust me!This place grows on you.Oh yeah another vote for not living in "the Bowl"Have you guys looked at Real Estate up here yet?You can still get Lucky Lager but lots drink Cariboo.I'll take a Lucky over a Cariboo anyday
    Last edited by markomoose; 09-18-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Do it mang!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Charts View Post

You got er. My wife has banned me from Lucky, it and my guts don't get along, it gets ugly. But yeah, fire in the backyard, or cruising on the quads, ice fishing or fishing ten minutes from the house, hunting literally in my yard, life is pretty tough

Quote Originally Posted by 604ksmith View Post
    I moved from Vancouver to PG for 2.5 years, recently moving back to Vancouver last August.

You mentioned you didn't like Victoria for the rain and PG certainly gets much less. The winters have also become much milder as of late with the last two averaging around -5 to -10 with the one or two weeks of -30. But, make sure you know what you're up for when moving to a "small town" like PG. Everything is a far drive, or an inconvenient flight away. The closest major city is Edmonton at 5-6 hours east. Entertainment in PG is hard to come by, and restaurants are limited, you'll have to get used to making your own entertainment in the bush or in the city. In my opinion passive residents don't do well in cities like PG. Also, if you're bringing kids make sure to keep them busy as the winters are long, dark, and can be boring if you don't like the cold or skiing/sledding, snowshoeing etc. PG still has a rough/dirty downtown area as well, so coming from Victoria where there really is no "rough" area could be hassle, however most responsible residents steer clear and never have any issues. That being said, while I don't regret my time in PG, the hunting and fishing was phenomenal, I knew I wanted to get back to the lower mainland. For all the traffic hassles, and crazy real estate, I just prefer to spend M-F in the city with weekends outdoors.

As for places to live, I agree with the post above. West is best, and assuming you're selling a home in Victoria you'll be able to afford to get into all the areas but maybe the custom homes on the river. If you want a nice suburb-style home University Heights is the best in town. HOWEVER, be warned to do your due diligence just across the street if looking in the Parkview Crescent area. I won't mention the name of the builder of that area but the company doesn't have the best reputation. I rented in the area during much of the construction and corners were cut, and crews were very junior. Multiple homes ended up having complaints and issues that were outside of the normal "nothings perfect" idea. If you'd like to live a bit farther west of town go for the Beaverley area about 15 minutes SW of town. It's made up of some very nice 5 acre lots and large homes. There are also some really nice places north of town that tend to be a bit older. The Hart Highlands is one such subdivision, and Chief Lake Road with larger lots. All the areas above will limit the amount of smell you'll notice from the local oil refinery and three pulp mills.

Hopefully that helps, if not, I'm sure others with more experience than mine will chime in.
    Lived here my entire life. Nailed it.
    Last edited by J_06; 09-18-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Fella's...maybe we should keep quite. We don't want the entire Lower Mainland to know our secret and move up here!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

IF you can get over the smell of the pulp mills, refinery, and various industrial plants, and the noise pollution created by the CN yards, you may find a nice affordable home located in any of the cardinal directions from the bowl. Elk 5 minute quad ride from my house, which is only open to bow hunters. Some folks who live within the college heights boundary are getting elk, moose, deer, bear, wolves and cats on their trail cams! I will call it rush quarter hour, as it takes 15 minutes, MAX, to get home when it is rush hour!! Hospital, cancer clinic, big box stores college, university, arts, sports, what are you in to, its here!!! We have some excellent dining in our city, some very nice micro breweries, a winery, and a brewery which brews some fine beer. Come to PG, look me up if you want, we are very friendly folks up here in the stinky ole North!! Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Thanks Moosin..

I think we met though already at Ali's when I was staying there for school.
    Wife is doing a Skype interview this week so we shall see what happens...

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHoyt View Post
    Thanks Moosin..

I think we met though already at Ali's when I was staying there for school.
    Wife is doing a Skype interview this week so we shall see what happens...
    I do not think so, but if you come up to PG, give me a shout, and we will have a beverage, maybe even a meal together! I do enjoy meeting fine folks from this website. Most I have met have become friends! Good luck with the employment scenarios, and again I will extend the welcome to our fine, but stinky city! Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"