Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

Re: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

sorry jassy kbob...you just lost all the benefit of doubt....you are not who you say you are....

28 gauge or 10 gauge it makes no difference what so ever, #2 steel pellets(or any other size shot for that matter) traveling at 1550 FPS is just that no matter what bore it comes from. The only thing that changes with bore size is the number of pellets you can get in a shell. Your odds of killing with a larger bore is increased due to the number of pellets, the killing power of any individual pellet is absolutely the same 28 ga or 10 ga, makes no difference.

With steel, SPEED KILLS!!
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by chele View Post
    Get the 12ga. If you get the 20GA and you want to use it in the shotgun zone for deer you won't find adequate ammo for the 20GA.
    Hey everyone. I'm looking to get back into bird hunting again. Some upland (20ga ideal), some ducks (20ga just fine or at least adequate), but my friend has a chunk of private land in the island shotgun zone that I might deer hunt on one day. Are buckshot options just limited, or are there actually no decent options? I'm thinking a nice trim o/u would do the trick. Thoughts?

Oh yeah... how come there are no nice stainless o/u shotguns? Wouldn't that be ideal when hunting around water or for those of us on the wet coast? Or is glare too much of an issue?

Thanks
    TJ

Glare is a big deal for waterfowl hunting. Even blued rifles are not preferred for guys who are hardcore waterfowl hunters.

As for hunting with the 20GA, I looked into buying #1 or larger buckshot ammo for my 20GA and I could not find a single manufacture that makes them. I looked into reloading my own and #1 shot was quite difficult to find too ... I gave up and ended up buying a 7x57r over a 12GA rifle for patrolling the power line.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm looking to get back into bird hunting again. Some upland (20ga ideal), some ducks (20ga just fine or at least adequate), but my friend has a chunk of private land in the island shotgun zone that I might deer hunt on one day. Are buckshot options just limited, or are there actually no decent options? I'm thinking a nice trim o/u would do the trick. Thoughts?

Oh yeah... how come there are no nice stainless o/u shotguns? Wouldn't that be ideal when hunting around water or for those of us on the wet coast? Or is glare too much of an issue?

Thanks
    TJ
    Nothing like the glint of a Stainless scattergun to flare ducks/geese. There is a reason Black and camo guns are popular with the waterfowl crowd. As far as being around water. I have my Dad's Model 12 Trap gun. It lived most of it's life in the Ladner Salt Marsh. The wood finish is gone replaced by oil, the bluing is wearing thin, but I defy anyone to find rust or pitting anywhere, a little care and most decent guns will out last the owner, marsh or desert.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Well I have managed to put some money away and have decided to go buy a new shotgun. I want a 12g pump. I know everybody has their own preference in guns but I want a middle of the pack shotgun. The best bang for my buck..haha..
    Suggestions?

guest Guest

Find an older Remington Wingmaster 870 in 3" mag. Like 1985 and older, they are well made, simple and easy to operate and clean. Affordable. The older ones are a far superior gun then the modern 870 Express. There's lots out there. Try Canadiangunutz.com

If you are looking for a good pump get a benelli supernova.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn-Redneck View Post
    If you are looking for a good pump get a benelli supernova.
    Probably what I would buy if I was liking for a new pump gun. Pretty much indestructible imo.
    "BORN TO HUNT"

I will definitely look at the benelli. I have heard they are good. I want something that is comfortable to shoot.