Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

Re: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
    What type of duck hunting are you doing, calling em in or scaring them up?

Grew up using a 20g worked fine but my Dad had a browning A5 semi, worked way better. I have have the new A5, great gun. Duck hunting is my fav, hard to beat it in my opinion. I suggest go with the 20 for now, if you like duck hunting (which you will) then spend some money and get a good gun.
    I believe we will be calling them in. I was invited to go hunting by a guy who works at Cabelas. I'm unsure of the species of duck we will be hunting. I plan on going for a walk down to the area where we will be hunting and watch the ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    I believe we will be calling them in. I was invited to go hunting by a guy who works at Cabelas. I'm unsure of the species of duck we will be hunting. I plan on going for a walk down to the area where we will be hunting and watch the ducks.
    I've only done the calling a couple times, it's fun too but not as much action as scaring them up.
    It was really cool the first time I called ducks in. my kid got too exited though and stood up too soon, never even got a shot off.
    Good luck and have fun.

PS.
    Dont over cook them, turn into jerky really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by kbob View Post
    What???
    Are you talking with me or someone else???????
    Who are you?
    Not sure you can see this but sorry kbob, got you off to a rough start with everyone.
    Sorry again, didn't realize you logged into here on computers in the grad lounge. You must've still been logged in and I posted.
    My bad, apology letter taped to your lab door (with surprise) and emailed.
    Sorry, but glad you met everyone here in the community

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Not sure you can see this but sorry kbob, got you off to a rough start with everyone.
    Sorry again, didn't realize you logged into here on computers in the grad lounge. You must've still been logged in and I posted.
    Why would you post this message to kbob on a hunting website when you know the person.....and he is banned.
    You would know that because you just read the posts.

You would have simply called or text him.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    This is friggin hilarious, the charade is comedic gold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
    I've only done the calling a couple times, it's fun too but not as much action as scaring them up.
    It was really cool the first time I called ducks in. my kid got too exited though and stood up too soon, never even got a shot off.
    Good luck and have fun.

PS.
    Dont over cook them, turn into jerky really fast.
    Thanks for the cooking tip! I look forward to trying duck hunting for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Why would you post this message to kbob on a hunting website when you know the person.....and he is banned.
    You would know that because you just read the posts.

You would have simply called or text him.
    It's really, really difficult, if not impossible, to handle a life situation that can't be cut and pasted from a reference list.

Our universities are sure churning out a pile of shit for the rest of us with some grey on the chin to try and make something of.

As Reggie Dunlop used to say, "It's a f*king disgrace."
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I kill just as many or more with my 20 gauge sx3 as the guys i hunt with. Pick your shots and get em close. Same rules apply with a 12.

This site has really gone to $#!t lol... Anyways, my 0.02$ says you can use whatever shot choice and gun size you want, just shoot at the bird no further then you can lethally hit them with your chosen gun and shot choice!! I got my girlfriend a 20ga Weatherby pump with a 22" barrel mod choke. Since we shoot everything pretty much within 20 yards, she has no problems at all with ducks or geese. She has smashed geese with me this early season with no cripples with cheap but quality Score 20ga 3" #2's.
    I shoot 3" 12ga #2 Score, its perfect for geese but a bit much for ducks at sub 25 yards, I think I will be going to a #4 for ducks. Again, all depends where you fall between decoying in your birds, or if you like going through 3 boxes of shells for 4 birds that were in orbit haha.

Cheers,

Longshot jr.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    This site has really gone to $#!t lol... Anyways, my 0.02$ says you can use whatever shot choice and gun size you want, just shoot at the bird no further then you can lethally hit them with your chosen gun and shot choice!! I got my girlfriend a 20ga Weatherby pump with a 22" barrel mod choke. Since we shoot everything pretty much within 20 yards, she has no problems at all with ducks or geese. She has smashed geese with me this early season with no cripples with cheap but quality Score 20ga 3" #2's.
    I shoot 3" 12ga #2 Score, its perfect for geese but a bit much for ducks at sub 25 yards, I think I will be going to a #4 for ducks. Again, all depends where you fall between decoying in your birds, or if you like going through 3 boxes of shells for 4 birds that were in orbit haha.

Cheers,

Longshot jr.
    Alright thx for the advice. By the sounds of it I am good with a 20g. I appreciate everybodies comments and advice. I am looking forward to getting out and trying duck hunting for the 1st time!