Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

Re: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    OK so does your dad's have a screw in choke of is it fixed. If it is fixed it will be stamped on the barrel either IC, Mod or Full. You shouldn't be shooting steel through a full choke Mod or IC. If it is a screw in you want either 3 =Mod. or 4= IC, small notched(not the big notched you insert the choke wrench into) in the end of the choke
    Thank you for the information. I will have to check when I go see my dad next time. He just said it was half choke.

Quote Originally Posted by chele View Post
    Shoot ... I didn't read your dad has a 20GA you can use. In that case I wouldl use your dads and buy a 12GA later.
    Agreed, every shot so I've made so far this season could easily be made with a 20Ga.

Shotgun gauges only indicate the diameter of the bore. Larger the gauge the more shot it will contain.

A 20 gauge shotgun will typically have the same velocity, range and knock down power as a 12 gauge with comparable shells. Regardless what gauge you shoot, ensure you use a choke restriction safe to shoot steel shot, and pattern the shotgun. Shoot it at cardboard or something that will easily show individual pellet hits. Shoot from approx 40 yards and you want the majority of hits in a 30" circle. Naturally if dads shotgun is a fixed choke there will be little you can do with it, aside from trying different shells and finding best results.

Screw in chokes will will provide you the ability to change your restriction and find a combination of choke and shell that yields the best results.

Either way you will see very little performance difference between a 12 or 20 gauge. Heck a 28 will hammer waterfowl all day long.

Shotgun fitment and patterning is far is far more important and will result in more ducks on he ground.

Style of hunting plays a big role as well. Decoying birds in successfully can result in all your ducks flying straight at you at close range. Makes for easy shooting vs high flying pass shots.

If you want to hammer ducks. Spend more time practicing your calling. This is a difficult overlooked aspect of hunting fowl. Put the call in your truck and practice while your drive. Haha.

Good luck, it's a great time!!!

Awesome thank you for all the great tips and Information. Any recommendations as to a good bird call to buy? I have the waders jacket shotgun. What else should I be looking at getting?

The zink power hen and zink power clucker are both on sale at Cabelas and great deals and similar in quality to their acrylic calls

Hey kbob........why don't you post under your other alias ....Jassmine.
    Eyes are on you.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Hey kbob........why don't you post under your other alias ....Jassmine.
    Eyes are on you.
    What???
    Are you talking with me or someone else???????
    Who are you?
    Last edited by kbob; 09-17-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    OK so does your dad's have a screw in choke of is it fixed. If it is fixed it will be stamped on the barrel either IC, Mod or Full. You shouldn't be shooting steel through a full choke Mod or IC. If it is a screw in you want either 3 =Mod. or 4= IC, small notched(not the big notched you insert the choke wrench into) in the end of the choke
    It's a fixed half choke on his 20gauge. He said the type of shot he use to use all depended on the type of bird he was going after.

Quote Originally Posted by kbob View Post
    What???
    Are you talking with me or someone else???????
    Who are you?
    Pretty sure he is talking about this comment, friend. The one in which you weren't at all involved in the discussion, jassmine was and you essentially posted the reply that they should have posted.

Quote Originally Posted by kbob View Post
    What evidence is that?
    In what topic or what post have I ever trolled the OP.
    I would be more worried about Ourea. Of anyone here he has posted the most information regarding Raincoast. Double agent perhaps??

Quote Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
    Pretty sure he is talking about this comment, friend. The one in which you weren't at all involved in the discussion, jassmine was and you essentially posted the reply that they should have posted.
    To kbob, jassmine, and any other Raincoast person/people popping up on this site......
    Step up without being a poser/pretender inbedded in HBC as a hunter, where your uniform with honor and you might get some respect.

I have made several calls to highly respected bios and field researchers in your industry.
    Not a single one will give an endorsement for anyone within your EMOTIONAL/SOCIAL based organization.
    Highly respected experts shake their head at Raincoast.

You look down on us with your moral agenda......pathetic.
    If respected people within your field don't respect you how can we.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea