Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting with small kids.

Re: Hunting with small kids.

I have bagged a deer with my kid who was under 2 before...just road hunting and got lucky. Also have been taking my boys our regularily since they were about 2 or less. Went out on saturday for an evening hunt with the 4 year old. Shot some grouse, he loves it because they are "safe roads" low speed no traffic so he gets to ride shotgun. He gets out with me, understands that he needs to be quiet and stand right beside me when we are walking. He tries to spot the chicken and after we are done shooting he runs up and picks them up and puts them in a pile on the road if there is more than 1.

Long story short make it happen, make it fun for them if thats what it takes to get them out with you like riding shotgun, maybe some special treat like a candy or juice or something...make it so they want to come with you when you go, its so much fun and gets them immersed in the cultuer.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I have done the same as Darksith , my kids started coming along on trips at 2 years old. Riding in the front and special snacks and treats go a long way. Mine have also pretty much been my "grouse dogs" they are 8 and 6 now and pretty much know what to do and expect. I still have a video of my son at 2 years old going to grab a grouse that ended up still being very "lively". He held on tight and the bird flapped hard, his face and reaction are priceless. The whole family still watches it every once in a while and laugh our heads off!! That's the stuff the memories are made from

Interesting thoughts. I have young kids (7 and 4) and would love to take them hunting. My son (4) is really keen but honestly its the 2.3-3hr drive from Langley into hunting areas that keeps me from taking him. He loves driving around in the bush, getting out to explore some areas, and uses his binos to try and see some animals. Its really the drive to and from hunting that's the major deterrent for me and he is very hard to keep occupied and I feel like the boredom would have taken over before the hunting even begins.

My son was 5 months old and has hunted every year since with me. Hearing protection is important in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Interesting thoughts. I have young kids (7 and 4) and would love to take them hunting. My son (4) is really keen but honestly its the 2.3-3hr drive from Langley into hunting areas that keeps me from taking him. He loves driving around in the bush, getting out to explore some areas, and uses his binos to try and see some animals. Its really the drive to and from hunting that's the major deterrent for me and he is very hard to keep occupied and I feel like the boredom would have taken over before the hunting even begins.
    Tablets if you have one, you can put books or movies on them for the drive up. But the bush is a no device zone once you get there, make sure you state the rules. I got tired of the tablets now, and switched to audio books for the drive up.

All good hunting with kids..my 4 year old girl calling grandpa to say she got a whitetail buck bit tag helped with the shooting cleaning and dragging part was peiceless..
    Hardess trip was when i came across a immy bull with a 3 month with me..should have passed on it but didnt made it work