Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with small kids.

Hunting with small kids.

How young is too young? I would like to hunt with my son next year. He will be a year and a half old. I am just pumped to get out with him. I would be hunting as well will my dad and we will keep it a super chill hunt. I have a 1 ton crew cab Chevy with a decent camper.i think a early October hunt will be best as it is still warm out( I'm thinking region 8 or 3) I think I can pull it off and have some fun, I think I will mix the hunt up with a bit of driving, hiking (small walks ( I have a good kid carrier pack) and hanging around the camp fire havering fun with my son. What do think? How young have you got your kids out? Tips and tricks to keep them amused and happy? Any opinions and advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks all!
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting with small kids.

Get them out there early, plant the seed, and water it every year. Started my kids out at that age. Definitley focus on the fun part. Any tags cut will be a bonus. Shot a buck beside the truck with my kids in the back seat. The youngest was 1 1/2. She had never even heard a gun go off, so i expected to hear crying. When I checked on them, all i saw was smiles and fist pumps!

wife 7 mouths pregnant we were hunting in the mountains; back next year bouncing boy in a backpack.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I have taken my kids out since the toddler years. Nothing serious though. Lots of 15 minute walks as well as road hunting and tons of super fun snack breaks. For me it's all about the kids having fun so that as they grow they want to keep hunting and fishing. Now my 6 year old asks for camo and fishing gear for birthdays and Christmas.

I have a picture of bear hunting with my then 3 year and 6 month old in a baby back pack. Have taken a few deer, couple of turkeys and a bear while hunting with my kids who are now 9 and 6.

Never too young, but I would dial it back. Little walks, some road hunting, plenty of snacks and stops. Usually stop for a slushy or ice cream as a treat.

I now have one hunting machine who can't wait to get her license next year and my son is starting to show a lot more interest and asking to get out.
    KCCO

To get kids started in hunting, you don't have to go out during the hunting season. From day 1, we had our kids out (spring, summer, fall), stump shooting with little bows and looking at tracks and poop, talking about what animals eat. Having said that, the boys were in hunting camp from day 1.

It is going to be whatever you can handle.
    I was probably 4 or 5 and my mom had my brother in the blazer and he was 1 year old, while my dad was up a mountain
    in duffy lake.
    My daughter has been coming with me since she was 6, granted, she doesn't spend all day out with me....well....not
    everyday...I have had her up and out at 1st light, and didn't get back until dark....and yes, we walked!!all day...
    But don't expect to do that everyday.
    Although, my dad stated I went everywhere he went, all day long...so it depends on the kid.

The first thing that comes to mind, as you probably already know, is ear protection.

If your kid is on your back in the carrier, and you have to take a shot, ear protection has to be already in place.

I've hunted many times with a stroller and diaper bag, bottle heater in the truck. I agree that hearing protection is a must.

I did a lot of scouting with the young kids, babies in the MEC kid back pack a couple years ago. (loved that thing - still refuse to sell it).

Hunting with them, you just have to be mature enough to lower your expectations and think of it as training for when they are older - and it is better being in the bush than on the couch.

Saying that, my 5 year old called in a whitetail buck with a doe can last season. Totally surprised me. Wasn't the biggest buck, but sure was cool to have the young kids around to start learning how to process a deer in the field (and was thankful it was a bang / flop, not a bang / gut shot / two hour trail).

Your patients early on pays off by not having brats out with you when they are a bit older and seeing how excited they get when you take and animal.