Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski Spotting Scopes, 80MM or 65MM HD

Swarovski Spotting Scopes, 80MM or 65MM HD

I am finally coughing up and getting a proper spotting scope, my hunting partner and I have decided to get a Swarovski but we are at a bit of a standstill. Assuming money isn't an issue (we just want the best piece of gear), would you get a 65mm HD Swarovski or a 80mm? We have found a deal on the 80mm but it is still the same price as a 65mm HD. I thought I'd ask the community before 'pulling the trigger' on a extremely expensive piece of gear like this.
    Thanks
    KK

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Swarovski Spotting Scopes, 80MM or 65MM HD

If you're not packing it, and it's a truck queen, get the 80. Back pack hunting, get the 65.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Hmmm Big bore bought the 80..he got a screaming deal..i bought the 65..we both used them in Kwatna bay watching grizzly bears early dawn..till late evening..both agreed no difference..except for weight..you really don't want to carry the 80..and once there the difference in viewing was not noticeable. .only thing I liked about Dave's spotter was the price he paid for a new spotting scope. .
    Did I mention how heavy and how much room in a pack it required...
    If your around the Pond you are invited for coffee and look accross the valley with swaro 65 HD..
    Good luck.
    Srupp

I think its already been summed up in my opinion, I would go with the 65 based on size and weight alone. A friend of mine carried an 80 on a sheep hunt this year and said it would be the last time!
    KCCO

Depends on what I was using it for. The 80 is a hell of a scope and I have used them a few times and hard not to love. That being said, you do save some weight (more importantly I find size) in the 65. I don't really find my 65 a 'light/small' scope though, so its still a bit of a compromise carrying a scope of that size on all my hunts. In a perfect world I'd have an 80 Swaro and a smaller scope dedicated for extended mutli-day trips. I don't live in a perfect world though so I currently own a 65 and love it, have used it for years and its an amazing scope. Mine is non HD and has served me well.

65mm HD for me. I won't carry anything heavier/larger and have no issues seeing with the 65mm, especially if you digiscope and enlarge the still photos to count rings on a ram or points on a caribou.

65. I can't really imagine carrying around that size of scope for many days. And 65 will be more versatile on many hunts

65 HD here.

I don't want to break my truck window cranking a big-assed, heavy 80 onto it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

65mm for me also, after 12 Days of Stone Sheep hunting this year it was all I needed and certainly heavy enough itself !
    If your 25 years old and full of piss and vinegar the extra weight probably wouldn't matter !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Im using an 80mm. Still have some piss and vinegar left in the tank, but already noticing that the size alone is a bit of an issue.

Next scope will be 65mm for sure.

Good luck