Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting: philosophical approach on hunt area(s)

Hunting: philosophical approach on hunt area(s)

Hi all, trying to see how other people deciding the area(s) they hunt.

Do you hunt multiple areas or focus on a single area?

This will be my 4th year of BC hunting and have yet to focus down on one specific area.

Right now, I hunt in different locations scattered around Management Units 2, 3 and 8. But have as yet to connect [have had some opportunities, but no harvest]. This tells me I might need to focus on one area and "learn" the secrets it holds.

But, based on my available time, I sometimes pick an area that allows me to do shorter "day" trips from the lower mainland.

As a kid in Missouri -- we went to the same location every year and I always connected.

Just curious.

Cheers, VFX

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting: philosophical approach on hunt area(s)

I think you kind of answered your own question. Multiple
    areas.. didn't connect. One area, did.
    As long as there is recent sign in the area, focus on one that you can spend the most time in, walk a lot and learn were the game moves, from water and feed to bedding areas, where the rubs are, etc, and what elevation they're hanging at at the time of year. IMO the better you know one area the more likely you will understand where the game are goi got be and the better your chances to intercept them.
    Also have to balance travel time, hunting pressure and presence of your target of course, but if you are intimately familiar with the area and the road hunters just blow on by you'll be more likely to fill the freezer.

Come November, I concentrate on one area only until the end of the season, when it comes to mulies.
    I think opening day is another area that I used concentrate efforts on over the years.
    October, in my opinion, is a good time to look at new areas, and to get a feel for the "lay of the land", but may not tell you
    what will be there come November.
    Truth is, I have always hunted with a camper( does not come off), so I am limited to exploring new areas.
    If I had a quad, they maybe some of my hunting practices would be different, but generally stick to an area and get to know it....that being said, there has to be sig/sightings, to make be feel sure as to "stick with it".

i agree that trying to learn an area while hunting it compromises the hunt. i too prefer to hunt in a larger familiar territory so that i can concentrate on hunting and hunting tactics rather than traversing and orienteering to figure out the lay of the land..off season scouting will help to learn the territory..

As well I tend to use spring bear season as a chance to explore new areas with lower hunter numbers and less pressure to connect.

oh...should of added,
    Hunted in an area for deer for years...lots of sign, but for some reason, I always hiked up and hunted higher, with limited
    success.
    Then one year, started to hunt only yards away from the camp, and stayed closer to the camper, and voila, a lot more
    success.. makes me kick myself in the head, as conditions years ago were more optimal to get one of those bigger bucks.
    I can't change that now...but I can pass along that experience to you.

many animals have been scared up by peeps intent on getting to a spot or in a hurry to return ....my trick is i am always counting my paces (every second step) even when going to and from spots i set a limit on how many paces i am allowed before i must stop and do a full 360 degree search...20-30 paces is max even on a road....as i look ahead i am always adjusting the max number of paces i will take based on my gut feeling of the terrain...sometimes i get down to stopping every step...

Many newer hunters spread themselves too thin and hunt a different area each time they go out....that along with the fact that they haven't fully developed their spotting skills results in very little game.....then their hunt turns into a hope of bumping into something!!

I've mainly hunted the same areas again and again, partly because I know I can consistently put my tag on a two pointer in the same old area. This year, though, I'm resolved to grow as a hunter by focusing entirely new areas. I know I might eat tag soup (for the first time in four years), but as we say in jiu-jitsu, "win or learn."

This said, my buddy got a doe draw in my old area, so I'll take him there November, but that's four point season, so while I'm helping him get some groceries, I'll be engaging in some legally mandated trophy hunting, so despite hunting in a known area, it'll be a different thing.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    ....my trick is i am always counting my paces (every second step) even when going to and from spots i set a limit on how many paces i am allowed before i must stop and do a full 360 degree search...20-30 paces is max even on a road.
    That's some good advice right there!
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.